Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MaisieDM
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband speed and usage limit

We changed providers from AOL to BT on 26/8/11. Welcome letter says speed should be 2Mb. We are still getting under 0.5Mb same as with old provider and now we are not on unlimited usage and keep blowing 10GB within 2 weeks.

Here is bandwith for helpdesk agents is 445/519.

I feel totally ripped off after making the change. Our housing estate is about 4 miles from KY telephone exchange but the selling agent promised me the speed on my welcome letter.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband speed and usage limit

Hi welcome to the forums,

The forums are customer to customer in the first instance, Only the mods (BT) will ask for personal information through a email link. Would you mind posting your Hub stats & BT speed test results this will help all with diagnosis-

To post the full stats from your router
for home hub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.
Run BT speed tester and post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

If possible it would be best to connect to the BT master socket this will rule out any telephone/broadband extension wiring also consider the housing of the hub/router as anything electrical can cause problems as these are your responsibility, if these are found to be the case Openreach (engineer) will charge BT Broadband, which will be passed onto you, around £130.00.

Noisy line! When making telephone calls, if so this is not good for your broadband, you can check-

Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
MaisieDM
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days,
14:47:06
Downstream:519.6 Kbps
Upstream:445.1
Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex
A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin
(Down/Up):
8.4 dB / 17.7
dB
Line attenuation
(Down/Up):
63.8 dB / 35.6
dB
Output power
(Down/Up):
14.2 dBm / 12.6
dBm
FEC Events
(Down/Up):
21697 / 6322
CRC Events
(Down/Up):
807 / 13173
Loss of Framing
(Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal
(Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power
(Local/Remote):
0 / 0
HEC Events
(Down/Up):
3095 / 800
Error Seconds
(Local/Remote):
214 / 440
0 Ratings
MaisieDM
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Download speed achieved during the test was - 380
Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
Additional
Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :516 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM),
444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 454 Kbps

>Upload speed achieved
during the test was - 338 Kbps
Additional
Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444
Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

as already suggested can you try connecting directly to the master or better the test socket.  do you have any other sockets apart from your master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

At 0.5Mb/s, I calculate that it would take 5.4 days solid use to reach 10GB. That doesn't seem likely.

0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Hi Maisie

I am a relative newbie here but even I can see that you are not staying connected for very long. Do you keep rebooting hub to get a faster connection?

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 8 of 13

If you have not lost sync then try posting the stats from during the day as well, 9db down margin at night may indicate a higher value during the day which may indictae that your target margin is way above what it should be.

While your line is long you shoudl be getting much faster speeds that this unless the CN21 method is really throwing a tantrum at noise on your line (which can be below audible levels and still affect broadband).

BTW upstream and well as downstream traffic is taken into account by your quota so you are actually capable of using roughly 1000kbs per second (bits not bytes) so you could use up the quote within 2 weeks quite easily but there are lots of posts especially from new customers about BT misstating initial useage. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
MaisieDM
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

When we are not using pcs ( 2 laptops and 1 notebook) the hub is powered off, is this an issue?

I still need to do a noise test on the line

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 10 of 13

IN theory switching off the hub should not be an issue however BT advise against it.

In practise you can get slightly faster speeds in general if you switch the hub on during daylight but this is only really relevant if you are able to switch IP profile bands that way and not a general concern for most people.

Personally I would leave the hub on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings