Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Broadband speed check

Hi,

I changed my old BT router for a Belkin one earlier today, and my line stats are as follows:

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status Show Time
                       Downstream Upstream
 Data Rate (kbps) 2680         879
 Noise Margin (dB) 8.0           6.2
 Attenuation (dB) 56.0        31.5
 Output power(dbm) 17.7    12.7

On my old BT router, I was getting a speed of about 3.5MB, however noticed that this has dropped after I changed routers.

Is this drop in speed due to me changing my router, therefore the exchange is not yet used to it as my noise margin is higher than it normally is; therefore, I will need to keep the connection open for 3-5 days for the connection to stabilise, which may result in my speeds returning to normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ac1

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband speed check

your reduced speed is due to the disconnecting and reconnecting of the routers you will now have to wait at least 3/5 days before the noise margin could start to reduce if no change in 5 days and providing the connection remains stable and no disconnection then post back and the forum mods may reset your noise margin for you
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Hi,

I have been keeping an eye on my line stats since I replaced my old BT router to a new Belkin one, and noticed that the upstream noise margin had increased from  6.2 to 17.0/18.0. I therefore tried the quiet line test, and discovered that there appeared to be a fault with my telephone extension cable which I use, which appeared to be picking up interference which was affecting the connection.

I replaced the telephone extension cable with a new one earlier today, did the quiet line test, and the line came back fine.

My  line stats from my Belkin router are as follows:

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status Show Time
Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) 2200 444
Noise Margin (dB) 10.0 17.1
Attenuation (dB) 55.4 32.1
Output power(dbm) 17.4 12.6

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

With your attenuation and a good connection I would expect a connection speed of about 3.5mb. Have you tried connecting direct to the test socket without the extension cable as they are known to affect your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

I have been keeping an eye on my line stats since I replaced my old BT router to a new Belkin one, and noticed that within about a couple of hours of replacing my router that the downstream noise margin had increased from 8.0db to 10db and the upstream noise margin had increased from  6.2db to 17.0/18.0db and both the Downstream and Upstream speed had reduced to about 2500kb and 444kb respectively.

I kept checking every day and noticed that the noise margins and speeds for both stayed the same. 

I therefore tried the quiet line test to see if there was an issue here, and discovered that there appeared to be a fault with my telephone extension cable which I use, which appeared to be picking up interference which was affecting the connection.

I replaced the telephone extension cable with a new one earlier today, did the quiet line test, and the test came back fine.

My line stats from my Belkin router are currently showing as follows:

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status Show Time
                             Downstream Upstream
 Data Rate (kbps)     2200            444
 Noise Margin (dB)    10.0             17.1
 Attenuation (dB)     55.4             32.1
 Output power(dbm) 17.4            12.6

I am aware that the reduction in the speed and increase in noise margin will have been due to the disconnecting and reconnecting of the new telephone extension cable, however I am a bit confused as to why the noise margins for both Downstream and Upstream are still showing at 10.0 and 17.1 respectively - the same levels they were before I changed my telephone extension cable.

Therefore I was wondering if I able to keep a stable broadband connection on 24/7 over the next 3/5 days, will both the noise margins for Downstream and Upstream decrease, and my speeds for both increase in time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ac1

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If you get to 3+ days and noise margin has not reduced then repost your stats including connection time and mods may help and reset your noise margin back to 6db with corresponding speed increase

Have you tried without the phone extension cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Hi guys,

Thank for your replies.

I haven't tried without the phone extension cable but I was getting Downstream speeds of about 3500kps before I replaced my router and I was using a phone extension cable previously as well.

I have also run the BT speedtester and have the following results:

Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
1.81 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.81 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.94 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I'll keep an eye on the line stats over the next few days to see what happens.

Thanks

ac1

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Some routers appear to get a better connection than others even though everything else stays the same so it may be that the new router may conenct slightly lower. Just stay conencted and repost stats in 3+ days

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

the cable or its connector could have developed a fault extension phone cables are not a good idea better to have the hub as close to phone socket and use a longer ethernet cable to the PC
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Hi,

I noticed while looking at my router settings that the connection type is set to PPPoE as this was automatically set by the new Belkin router, and was wondering if I should be using this for my BT broadband connection or should I change this to PPPoA?

As I am currently using PPPoE, could this be having an effect on the speeds and/or noise margins?

Thanks

ac1

0 Ratings