Re: Broadband speed check

yes you should be set to PPPoA PPPoE is used on infinity
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Hi,

I changed my router settings to PPPoE to PPoA as advised and kept my broadband connection on 24/7 for a few days and these are my latest stats for my belkin router.

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status Show Time
                            Downstream Upstream
 Data Rate (kbps)         2392           840
 Noise Margin (dB)           6.5            6.0
 Attenuation (dB)           55.8         31.9
 Output power(dbm)      17.7         12.6

My performance test results are as follows:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
2.2 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.11 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.71 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.71Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I checked on the Kitz website that based on the line attenuation shown above I could be getting a download speed of about 3.5mb which I was getting with my old BT Voyager router.

As the noise margins for both about 6/6.5, does this mean that the download/upload speed I am getting is due to the quality of the extension cable I am using and/or the router I am using too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

ac1

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 16

I Agree with your attenuation i would expect a connection speed of about 3.5mb not download speed and assumes a good line with no noise problems.

Best connection is test socket and often using a telephone extension cable can cause a problem with your connection especially the flat cable type

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Hi imjolly,

Thanks for your reply.

I did the quiet line test and it came back fine, therefore it would seem probable  that the connection speed I am getting is due to the quality of the telephone extension cable and/or the router I am using.

Due to where my master socket is situated and my PC, I need to use a telephone extension cable for my broadband connection.

Seems like my next step is to look into getting a better quality telephone extension cable to see if this helps.

Thanks again for your help.

ac1

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

Could you not connect the router to test or master socket and then instead of extension cable run a longer rj45 ethernet cable. Or run a longer modem rj11 cable from test socket and keep router where it is

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Hi imjolly,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

ac1

0 Ratings