Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EllaM
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Broadband speed drop in last few weeks

Hi

My broadband speed has dropped dramatically in the last two weeks (ish). There have been BT engineers working locally (at end of road and exchange), but nothing to do with us and your site suggests no current problems.

I disconnected all devices other than the desktop pc and ran a speed test.  Results were..

Download   0.65

Upload       0.38

Ping Latency   222.75

Any idea's? Nothing has changed in the house, no new devices or wiring changes, and speeds used to be fine.

I should also mention that this slow speed is affecting the xbox connection, wireless laptops and bt tv (youview watching via internet not live tv) as well. So not an issue with powerline adapters

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Broadband speed drop in last few weeks

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
EllaM
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Hi Rev JollySmiley Happy

Thanks for your help. I am struggling to understand all the data to be honest, but working my way through it slowly.

I have plugged into the main socket as advised, speed test still slow. Also did the quiet line thing and it is all quiet. I also unplugged everything and switched it off and on again (the old style computer fix)

Looking at another persons similar problem. I also looked at the trouble shooting section on my Hub4 and gathered the data as you advised the other person.

It reads like this...

20:25:12, 11 Apr.    ( 82.060000) DSL noise margin: 25.00 dB upstream, 16.20 dB downstream

20:25:12, 11 Apr.   ( 81.900000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

All other events going back into March have similar figures (which I have no idea what they mean)

You mentioned something about noise levels? is this something the mods can help with... Thanks again

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

you are on adslmax and have the max speed of 8mb  can your run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run the diagnostic test which is now available and post results  do not reset before test and should be done with wired conenction 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
EllaM
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Ok

Ran speed test..

Download coming in as 2.05

Upload   0.37

Ping 42.00

Second test results were......

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 2.05 Mbps

Is this any use?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

can you keep persisting with the further diagnostics part of the speed test as we need to see your IP profile
0 Ratings
EllaM
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

ok, will keep trying.

ran it a second time and on the second test all the information i get is....

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 1.92 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

will try again

0 Ratings
EllaM
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

seems to be getting worse every time....

this time..Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 0.73 Mbps

Ha! and still no additional information

0 Ratings
EllaM
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

ok.. looks like i will be unable to get any further information from these two tests..

final time and still dropping is now 0.12 Mbps and no information..

any other ideas?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

were test done wired?  is there anything else connected to your network?

0 Ratings