Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 1 of 53

Broadband speed dropped last week.

HI,

At the start of last week I noticed my download had become much slower than before. I use a lot of streaming video services (especially as I've been off work for 6 weeks with an injury) such as Youtube and Amazon prime.  Normally I can watch 1080p streams but since last week I've been lucky to watch even low quality stuff and then it'll buffer for 5 mins to watch 5 mins.

I checked eeeeeverything my end (hardware, software, cables etc) then checked the hub and it's connection. I've tried it plugged straight into the master socket and these are my results.

From the log files on my HH4

20:33:44, 20 Dec.( 193.890000) DSL noise margin: 18.00 dB upstream, 18.60 dB downstream
20:33:44, 20 Dec.

( 193.820000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 7616 Kbps downstream

Connection is the same as it's always been buy noise used to be much lower.

From the BT speedtest I get the following.

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 2.82 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

I used to get nearer 7 Mbps.

Hope someone can help, cheers.

Pete

0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 53

Re: Broadband speed dropped last week.

Please could you run the BT Wholesale Speedtester  "further diagnostics"  test, so that your IP profile can be displayed.

Do not restart the home hub before running a speed test, as that will affect your IP profile.

All tests must be run using an Ethernet connection.

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 3 of 53

The result I posted was from the further diagnostic. Not sure what that error is and why I'm not getting any further info. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 53

Were all tests run using a direct Ethenet cable from the home hub to a desktop or laptop computer, with its wireless card turned off?

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 5 of 53

Yep, desktop running Windows 10, no wifi on that machine. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 53

Try a different web browser to see if you can get the full diagnostics, otherwise there is not much you can do, as you need to see what the IP profile is.

Constant restarting or disconnecting the line will cause the IP profile to drop, and can take a week to recover.

The speed test will also be affected if Windows 10 is downloading or uploading in the background. This will happen unless the P2P Windows updates are disabled.

See http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-...

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 7 of 53

Tried IE with same results so I'm downloading Firefox to give that a go. Updates are turned off, nothing else running to cause download activity, checked ethernet activity with task manager performance monitor before running the test to make sure. 

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 8 of 53

Well after nearly an hour just to download Firefox I get the same error. After searching the forums it seems it happens fairly regularly and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't nd there doesn't seem to be any actual fix to make it work.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 53

You could try a factory reset of the home hub 4, just in case the internal config is corrupted.

Then make sure that "smart setup" is disabled.

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 10 of 53

Tried that yesterday as a last resort to make sure it's not a problem my end 😞  is there another way to get the profile? I found a site that has an alternate checker but even it says it's advisable not to run it as it blocks everything else from checking. 

https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

0 Ratings