Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 53

Re: Broadband speed dropped last week.

I have run out of ideas.

My recommended option would be to leave everything alone, no restarts and no disconnections for at least 14 days.

If it is an IP profile issue, then it will recover on its own, as your connection speed is fine for ADSL MAX.

Have you checked to see if ADSL2+ is available on your exchange?

By all means use the BT Speedtester, but do not restart the home hub, even though it tells you to do it, as it will stop the IP profile from increasing

If your speed test is still giving a low reading after 14 days, and you cannot get the extra diagnostics to run, then I will ask on of the BT moderators to take a look from their end.

To see if ADSL2+ is available, look here.

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 12 of 53

test.png

The 6.5 - 8 that mentions is what I used to get till the start of last week and I'm syncing at that speed. Speed tests on anything (BT or any other) are erratic as are download speeds.  Isn't the fact that my noise margin has shot up showing I've got a noisy line (I checked with the noise test but had to do it on a cordless phone so can't be sure if it's noisy or not)?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 53

sorry adslmax up to 8mb is as fast as you can get just now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 14 of 53

I'm not trying to get faster than 8mb, just trying to get the 6.5+ I had before last week rather than 1 I'm generally getting now 😉

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 53

I think the point Keith was to see if your exchange was adsl2 enable as you would then been able to get upgraded for free and may well have doubled your down speed and certainly have doubled your up speed.  as it stands you can't

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 16 of 53

I understand that but it was an aside and isn't the point of the thread. There's a problem with my line, it's been going on for a week and the tool I need to use to test it doesn't work. 

Rather than wait 14 days is there someone I can phone to test the line or get the ip profile? 

*edit*

The point I'm making there is if I'm on max, was getting download speeds of 6-7mbps and now the average is 1, doubling my line speed would average at 2.. 😉

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 53

@Pdo1969 wrote:

I understand that but it was an aside and isn't the point of the thread. There's a problem with my line, it's been going on for a week and the tool I need to use to test it doesn't work. 

Rather than wait 14 days is there someone I can phone to test the line or get the ip profile? 

*edit*

The point I'm making there is if I'm on max, was getting download speeds of 6-7mbps and now the average is 1, doubling my line speed would average at 2.. 😉

moving to adsl2 would also change how your profile is calculated and also it corrects itself immediately so no more waiting 3+ days for correct profile - so your 1mb may have jumped to 12/18mb who knows as you can't get adsl2

without the btspeedtester diagnostic results there is no way to be sure the problem is a low profile and not caused by something else like exchange congestion

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 18 of 53

Latest speedtest gives me a 0.59mbps max and from download and attempted streaming speeds it's not even that.  Becoming totally unusable now. 

Still can't get my profile but I was reading on this site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm that if you're on adsl max then the ip profile is a fixed band based on your sync speed which is usually above 7500 for me. Does this hold true still or is it old info? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 53

for the majority of adslmax the band basis is still correct hence why with your current low speed you have a low band and therefore low download speed

0 Ratings
Pdo1969
Contributor
Message 20 of 53

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding then. If the ip profile is banded for max and according to that site based on my sync speed my ip profile is 6500 how is that causing low download speed? Surely I should be getting 6.5mb?

0 Ratings