cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grrrrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Broadband speed dropped to one third of what it used to be - customer service no help

I work at home and have done for many years.  The BT Exchange is literally at the bottom of the road and I'm lucky to get 20mbit sync and 10ms ping for years.  Recently (last few weeks) my broadband has been disconnecting like crazy (every few minutes some days) and my speed has gone from 20 to 8, and my ping from 10 up to 40-60.

This has rendered my IP phone useless and downloads 3 times slower, if they complete at all (I am an software developer and religiously download chunky ISOs from work every day).  I can no longer work properly.  I've rung BT customer services three times and they are not getting me anywhere apart from more and more frustrated.

Steps I have taken so far:

Replaced filter with new one from BT (tried several actually).

Replaced ADSL cable from socket to modem.

Tried two other (non BT) modems.

Disconnected my home phones by removing from part of master socket for weeks to eliminate local extension noise

Sat and listened to Quiet Line upteem times, no noise.

Moved other electrical devices near my phone cables and modem away as far as possible.

Bear in mind, as far as I'm concerned I have changed nothing and for years had a stable 20meg/10ms connection.  EE and Vodafone/Demon used to have this line and it was also fine then.  In addition, there was an Openreach engineer two doors away and the ground literally dug up - it may be coincidence, my wife doesn't think so...

I have rang BT's customer service... I have to say one occasion was the worst experience of customer 'service' of my life.  Having to wait 25 minutes to talk to a condescending, rude unhelpful individual for over an hour, and having to shout at someone, is not my idea of fun and just added insult to injury.  I am going to pursue that matter separately, but any help on my broadband is appreciated..

Last phone call the support person basically ended with "let's wait three days more and see what happens."

Well today it just went down from 14mbit to 8mbit.

I just don't understand why the DLM would do that when my modem shows 0 TX/RX errors and SNR margin of 15, which is huge compared to what i normally have.

Rather than the DLM going up, it goes down.

Why on earth did it do that?

Also, when I plugged in my trusty Draytek modem (whichg gives better visibility into ADSL than the BT Hub 4), I sometimes see 'remote disconnect' for no reason.  When I've had interference in the past, these are normally proceeded by a sudden drop in SNR margin or PPP echo lost, but here, nothing... just blam, disconnect.  I don't think this is line noise..?

All three modems, same.

All three worked fine before at 20mbit sync.

I'm at my wits end and verging on cancelling my contract. 

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 8.25 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.57 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.05 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.05Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband speed dropped to one third of what it used to be - customer service no help

Can you post adslmax stats romantic whichever router you are currently using. Ard you still using the test socket?

The more you cause a reset by changing modems cables etc the worse your connection will get. You need to try if possible to maintain a stable connection  I suspect you are already in a banded profile due to all the disconnections 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Grrrrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: Broadband speed dropped to one third of what it used to be - customer service no help

Thanks for quick reply.

Not quite sure what ya mean by romatic stats :), but I assume you mean ADSL sync etc.

Yes, I have the modem plugged into the test socket via a filter just now, new filter from BT.

Not that I believe my ADSL filter plate is faulty...

By the way, regarding your comment about banded profile, why would it suddenly decide (DLM) to drop me from 14mbit to 9 when I have had 4 days up with 0 CRC errors and lots of data going through OK?  Makes no sense to me.

I have my Draytek in there just now as its set to syslog everything to file so I can get more detail.

This is what the stats are now:

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 23.27.35.png

Look at the awful interleaving - normally this is on FAST mode and none:

> adsl status

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------

Running Mode            : ADSL2+(G.992.5)       State                : SHOWTIME

DS Actual Rate          :  9720000 bps   US Actual Rate       :  1176542 bps

DS Attainable Rate      : 20064000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :  1176000 bps

DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave 

DS Interleave Depth     :      511       US Interleave Depth  :        4 

NE Current Attenuation  :       12 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :       14  dB

DS actual PSD           :    18. 3 dB    US actual PSD        :    10. 5   dB

ADSL Firmware Version   : 232201_A 

-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------

Far Current Attenuation :        5 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        7  dB

CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e

DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

But look what it was for years and up until 2nd June:

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 08.38.47.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 23.31.44.png

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

your speed has dropped due to hub disconnections that have caused your noise margin to increase reducing your speed if you can maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days then your noise margin should start to reduce automatically your posted stats do not show any connection times so it is hard to see any instability in connection
0 Ratings
Grrrrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

While some external problem may have caused my initial drop, I am not seeing improvement after waiting and waiting...

For example, 96 hours continually at 14mbit with 0 CRC errors and 0 disconnects, yet DLM then dropped to 8mbit yesterday and INCREASED interleave depth from 400-odd to over 500.

That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

if your connection is still dropping, not manual reset, there is a problem with your conenction and probably line noise.  is quiet line test still quiet?  here are some other things to check  

interference causes

also check here in case something going on round about you  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Grrrrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I did say in my first post - Quiet Line is quiet.  I once dialed it again and again (it disconnects after 5 minutes each time) and heard nothing at all, whether on my extension of directly on the test socket filter.  I have also had the front plate off my master socket for 10 days or so to rule my phones out - no difference.

There is some stuff in the loft but I've moved them as far as I can, turned off others, and in many years has never been a problem.. plus normally my Draytek would report that differently, e.g. a lost ppp echo or SNR would move around.  Here, its just claiming the remote end is disconnecting yet the modems are showing zero CRC errors - I would expect there to be some errors if I had noise...

I'm beginning to think the black drop wire coming into my house has been compromised after some high winds a few weeks back.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

if problem with drop wire you would normally expect to have a problem with line noise  phone needs bothe wires conencted whereas broadband will work with one albeit slowly - as phone works then cable more than likely ok

preseumably if still in test socket then none of your extension sockets have a dialtone?

0 Ratings
Grrrrr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hmm maybe, I'm saying perhaps weather related - we do see those black wires move around a fair bit some days.

Yes, none have dial tone.   I disconnected the home phones pretty instantly when the problems started (by pulling off the front plate of the master socket) to rule out something my end.  But has not made one jot of a difference.  I only reconnected one phone to the test socket via the filter yesterday to do a Quiet Test etc again as per BT request.

So, I don't believe its my extensions, they were not connected when the problems occurred.  On one day I believe there was over 100 disconnects the BT person said, no phones connected, just a modem via a (new) filter on the BT test socket.

If its intereference, I am dammed if I can find what would do it and can never hear anything on quiet line.

I've ran out of things i can do my end, yet the DLM still goes down, not up.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

then if you have tried all that then you need to get engineer visit as I can't see what more you can do

0 Ratings