cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Broadband speed extremely bad.

Hiya, i was wondering if somebody could help me out, For the last 3-4 days i am getting a speed of just 0.34mb download. This is making using my internet very painful. 

Watching a simple 10 minute youtube video is out of the question as it takes nearly 30 minutes just to buffer. 

I have NEVER had a good speed with BT who i've been with since 2006 now. I normally get arounds 1.5mb or 2mb on a good day. Now i am getting just 0.34mb i have waited 3-4 days hoping it would get faster by its self but nothing is happening and its becoming very frustrating to use. 

Any help would be great. 

Cheers. 

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: Broadband speed extremely bad.

Hi MrYellow,

Please could you post your line stats using the steps found at: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

and please could you do a speedtest at: http://speedtester.bt.com

This will help us Forum Users analyse your connection and get to the bottom of the problem quickly 🙂

Thanks

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Hi, here is the details. I hope i did it correctly. 

Connection information

Line stateConnected
Connection time2 days, 22:25:20
Downstream576 Kbps
Upstream440 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)29.4 dB / 8.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)53.5 dB / 44.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)20 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)17

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
146 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 146 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :576 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 440 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 1.68:4.22:94.2 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0 Kbps

0 Kbps440 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 440 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 26

Your Downstream Noise Margin - 29.4dB indicates that there have been multiple disconnections, maybe caused by a fault. To correct this, the exchange has lowered your speed to try and stabilize the connection.

Your downstream line attenuation is also very high because of your distance from the exchange so this will limit the speed which you can achieve. 

At that attenuation you should be able to achieve around a 4Meg sync resulting in a 3500Kbps profile.

Could you plug your Homehub into the Test Socket behind the faceplate of your Master Socket?

See below:

Could you also try and replace the microfilter with the other one which came with your BT Homehub?

When the line connects again, please post your line stats.

Thanks

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Hi, i should add that my socket is down stairs and my computer is upstairs so i have been using a extension lead. 

I also have a micro filter in the socket and 1 in the exstension lead. Should i plug the exstension lead into the test socket or would i have to actually take my hub down stairs? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 26

Ah ha, that may be a problem there.

Could you take your Hub downstairs temporarily and plug it directly into the Test socket via the additional microfilter supplied with the Homehub? This will eliminate any extention wiring 🙂

Once there and it has connected/synced, can you grab the line stats?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Hi, i have taken my hub downstairs and removed the case on the socket. i still get 0.34mb according to speedtest.net. here are the stats now with no extension lead.

Connection information

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:10:28
Downstream576 Kbps
Upstream888 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)33.1 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)36.5 dB / 16.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 13.0 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967241
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
154 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 154 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :576 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 0.43:7.81:91.91 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
697 Kbps

0 Kbps888 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 697 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

Allow me to be fast and to the point to save you time and heartache...

a few easy steps:

1. goto ... http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

2. When there fill out the form and include the url to this page which is ... http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-speed-extremely-bad/td-p/149191

3. Nicely ask to have your IP Profile Reset and also to have your downstream SNR Reset also.

4. Wait upto 48 Hours from the time you submit this form for the mods to respond.

This should fix your speed issues.

P.s I'd expect your IP Profile to be around about 9000kbps with a Connection of around about 11168kbps thats if your actual Line Attenuation down stays at 36.5dB

Kindest Regards

IceZaroth

BT Community Helper

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Okay, i have contacted them and now shall wait. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

because of all the the disconnections/resets your line has been seen by the exchange to have problems and to stabilise your connection you have been put into a banded profile ( nothing to do with IP profile).  This is something new with 21CN which was not there with adslmax.

If you maintain your connection 24/7 with no diconnections then your noise margin will drop and your speed will come back.  normally about 3/5 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings