cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 47

Broadband speed extremely slow after the first 10 days

Hi so we recently did a home move and the phone and internet came on when they were supposed to.

The first few hours of the first day the download speed was going up and down as it was supposed before settling on 287.1 kbps down and 444.6 kbps up and it's not budged since.

It still drops and reconnects now and then, the homehub has been turned on the whole time, I did try changing the filter incase it was that but it didn't make a difference, And it has been restarted a couple of times.

Our estimated speed on BT's line checker is 11 Mb with an estimated range of 7.5-14 Mb

Here is the current homehub stats;

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:35:38
Downstream:287.1 Kbps
Upstream:444.6 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.5 dB / 16.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):28.6 dB / 18.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):16 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 17
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 11
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

173 / 147

Any help appreciated

When I try: http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Connectivity and type my phone number it gives me a message telling me it doesn't look like I'm using a bt homehub when I am.

EDIT: I should of said, there is only the 1 master socket, no extensions, and only the phone and router plugged into the filter, so there's no bell wire interference etc.

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 47

Re: Broadband speed extremely slow after the first 10 days

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 47

Okay I have a Homehub 3, screenie of the connection pagestats.png

and here's the BTW results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.26 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I should note that the first day my connection was turned on the sync speed was switching between 2mb-12mb which was fine, then it dropped to 0.26 and it's not changed since. And I've been connected to the test socket for 3 days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 47

Your connection must have reset since previous stats as noise margin now what you would rxpect for your low connection speed. You are now in a banded profile and need to stay connectd 24/7 for 3/5 days and banding should release with a drop in noise margin and increase in connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 47

problem with being connected for 3/5 days is that it drops and reconnects at least once a day, longest I've seen connection time be is 17 hours since we've moved, and the noise margins have both been lower than 10 db at one point or another

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 47

I would connect to test socket to eliminate a faulty faceplate - unlikely but it does happen. Then try the quiet line test and see if any line noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 47

I'll try a quiet line test tomorrow, need to dig out our corded phone. It's already on the test socket and has been for a few days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 47

Just post back when you can

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 47

I did a quiet line test earlier and all was fine, Homehub hasn't dropped since yesterday, noise margins are dropping ever so slowly;

stats2.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 47

once you remain connected for 3/5 days you should start to be released from the banding this link explains more http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html
0 Ratings