Hi, we have had broadband with BT since March and have had a consistent speed of around 2.9 using the accelerator - it suddenly dropped to 1.5 about 3 weeks ago. We reported it and it returned back to the original speed - the engineer told us he was re-routing it. It has now gone even lower and having real problems loading any website that has pictures on it - driving us mad. I ran the BT speed test, the first one wouldn't work but the download test says we are getting 0.9mbps download and have 3.5mbps connection speed. I have tried speedtest.net - we have a ping of 57ms - download is again 0.9mbps. This is the info from the hub:
Solved! Go to Solution.
These are the results it shows, thanks:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
|0 Kbps||1000 Kbps|
Max Achievable Speed
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 894 Kbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :3520 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
you have a 3.4mb connection but your profile is low at 1000 instead of 3000. you need to stay connected 24/7 with no resets for 3/5 days maybe sooner and your profile will rise to 3000 assuming your connection speed stays as it is. the rise in your profile will then increase your download speed back to what you had before