cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Langy91
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Broadband speed has dramatically reduced, i'd be faster on Dial up.

Hi,

Backstory: Got a Husky, had to move my room downstairs (involved the computer) Computer is now plugged into the downstairs wall socket instead of upstairs.

Used to be able to run 2-3 streams at 1080p+ quality whilst playing an online game such as SWTOR/WoW, now I can't even run a stream at 240p or run a game under 100ms (if I try load chrome etc whilst playing I spike to 5k+ ms).

I've checked the cables, checked the router, checked + replaced the filters, ran 3-4 speed tests and they show my current connection at 2.2mbps. When I first got my Broadband I was getting 4-5mbps. Ran a test on speedtest.net and got 0.72mb download speed with 0.38mb upload speed. I can barely download at quicker than 30kb/sec up until this week i've been downloading at 500-700kb/sec...

What the **bleep** is going on? is there a fault with my line or am I being trolled... because paying £130 every quarter seems a bit steep for "Dial Up"

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Broadband speed has dramatically reduced, i'd be faster on Dial up.

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

was the upstair socket the master or are you connected directly to the master  NTE5 or test socket or to somewhere else?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Langy91
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Can't remember the administrator password, should I bother resetting the Router to get it back or is there an easier way?
0 Ratings
Langy91
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

When I plug my telephone into the socket upstairs all i get is static, and when I plug it into the socket downstairs and call something like 1471, it notifies me that my last phonecall recieved was in june 2011, when it was infact yesterday.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

the admin password is normally on back of hub unlesss you changed it.  does the quiet line test 17070 not work?

really need stats from router as a starting point and also btspeedtester results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Langy91
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

For some reason when It shows BT Broadband Talk it shows a completely different number connected, to our actual number...???

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:07:33
Downstream 2,048 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.2 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 31.0 dB / 16.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Ran the speedtester and it came up as 0.72mbps download speed. I don't think I can get ADSL in my area? not sure what "type" my internet is, can't remember how to check it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

to do the quiet line test you need to use a normal phone you cannot use broadband talk and yes you are on adslmax
can you please post the full results of the bt speedtest
http://speedtester.bt.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

you are on adslmax up to 8mb.  need you to run btspeedtester (not beta) and post the results - probably have to wait 1hr before trying again

your connection time is only 7min was that due to bt helpdesk resetting the hub?

what about connecteion - master or test socket?

0 Ratings
Langy91
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

I think it's the master. when we first moved into this house the computer was running from this socket and it went fine at almost full speed outside of peak times.

Quiet line went fine, yes the connection time is only 7minutes because I had to reset the router to re-do my admin password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

this is what the master looks like and the test socket Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings