cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Broadband speed incredibly slow

Go to solution

I have been a BT broadband user for many years and I have enjoyed a reasonably good service and broadband speed of just under 3mbits.

A few days ago, I had to change from Option 1 to Option 2 broadband, as I was being charged an additional £5 per month for exceeding my allowable usage from 10gig to 10.09gig.

I therefore contracted for a 12 months period for Option 2, giving me a 40gig facility.

Almost immediately on changing to Option 2, the broadband speed dropped to a continuous miserable upload speed of 0.7m/b and a download of 0.3m/b.

On querying this by telephone, a very helpful advisor, said that this could be due to tests being carried out by BT, to ensure my line compatibility with the increased facility and said that I could expect the service to resume to normal within the next 10 days of testing.

Can this really be true?????  I am dumbfounded by such apparent technological inefficiency

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Broadband speed incredibly slow

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

sorry but there is no change to your connection when you change from option1 to 2 just your limit is increased not your speed.

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Thank you for your prompt response to my posting.

On accessing 192.168.1.254 in my browser, it takes me to the BT Home Hub page, where I get a SESSIONS NUMBER page stating "No more than 100 sessions at a time are allowed. Please wait until open sessions expire"  I have a hunch that this is the result of tests carried out by BT resulting from my telephone call to them earlier today.  I tried to access the a - z panel, but this was locked.

I did however run the btspeedtester which gave the following results:

Download speed 187Kbps

Upload speed     658Kbps

Your DSL Connection Rate 568Kbps (downstream) 964Kbps (up-stream)

IP profile for your line is 350Kbps

Any further help on the forum would be appreciated, as this hardly seems like a worthwhile

broadband facility.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

I have had the session thing before and had to wait a few hours for it to clear but others have had to reset the hub.

with you upstream at 964 you are on 21CN adsl2 but your downstream speed is only 568.  what sort of speed did you get before the change to option 2?

can you try the quiet line test to make sure there is no noise on your line - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

I have just done the quiet line test on a corded phone and there is a definite low pitched whirr type noise that would not be discernible during a telephone conversation, but is there nevertheless.

Previous speed was 2.6 to 2.8Mb

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

as long as not  a hiss or crackle souds ok but if you think it is a problem then report a phone fault and NOT a broadband fault dial 151

really need to see the adsl stats from your hub before making any suggestions so maybe try tomorrow and see if you can post them assuming the 100 connection error has gone

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

Settings this morning are as follows:

Line state 
Connection time0 days, 00:11:57
Downstream568 Kbps
Upstream966 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)16.4 dB / 7.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)41.5 dB / 19.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)4.5 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)7 / 166902
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / 107766
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1 / 9844
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

your noise margin is high at 16 as normal about 6.  your connection time is only 11 min did you have to reset the router to clear the '100' error?

are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I had to reset the router to kill the '100' error.

I have always been connected to the 2nd socket in the house, as the

master incoming socket is in a bedroom, whereas the PC is in my study.

This has not been a problem in the past however, as I have been getting

a minimum of 2.8mB for the past few years before swiching to Option 2 and

with the identical installation that I have now - other than the BT Home Hub

router (type B), which was changed some 12 months ago.

Regards and thanks

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

thought that was reason for short time.

you are now on 21cn adsl2/2+ and I don't know if that was an upgrade when you changed your package fro option1 to 2.  21CN is very aggressive if you have noise on your line and your noise margin of 16 suggests there is noise.  connected to the master socket or the test socket if you have an NTE5 master is really the way to make sure noise is not in your home extension wiring and is outside.

another thing to check is if the orange bellwire is connected to terminal 3 as this can often be the source of noise as it acts like an aerial.  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

0 Ratings