Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francis2
Beginner
Message 11 of 28

Re: Broadband speed information/reporting/min line speed

Go to solution

sorry Im getting a tad weary of all this so bear with me  cos Ive been on with it uploading Wholesale data to Bt for a fortnght initially they tried denying theyd got it until I took screenshots of them all and my provider made them aware of the fact and lo and behold they looked at it    theyve agreed its congestion/contention anyway

Im also trying to get used to the posting format here copying images and editing in paint if thats easiest?

the router link I posted I deleted  as I presume people could access my router from it whats best way of doing it thanks 

0 Ratings
francis2
Beginner
Message 12 of 28

Go to solution
Is this the info as I cant seem to find any other Home Technicolor Gateway Broadband Connection WAN Connection Internet Services Toolbox Home Network Help Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection Overview | Details Physical Connectivity OK DSL Connection Link Information Uptime: 8 days, 2:55:53 DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1 Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128 Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 8.07 / 71.85 Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.9 / 19.9 Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 20.5 SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 12.8 System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ---- Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / - Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / - Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / - Loss of Link (Remote): - Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 51 / - FEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 11,913 CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 158 HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 4,858 Pick a task... See information about my broadband connection(s)
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 28

Go to solution
You can paste the router stats just by highlighting the text and then using Copy/Paste to paste them here (right-clicking the highlighted text and clicking Copy, then right-clicking in the posting box here and selecting Paste).

If Wholesale is already aware of the congestion issue, there's very little that can be done, as they will probably be looking into expanding capacity on the backhaul.
francis2
Beginner
Message 14 of 28

Go to solution

What I need to know then is with BT now saying theres nothing they will/can do (ie read dont want to spend any money) what my next plan of attack is.Is it acceptable that I get between 0.5.1.0Mb evenings because the way I look at it I pay good money for a shoddy service that is below what they agree are acceptable minimum speedsfor an 8Mb line thats ok daytime

At the end of the day whats broadband for ,in villages away from built up areas itll be primarily used in the evenings for leisure use so the infrastructure should be in place to cater adequately for those needs

the mention of a PCP and DSLAM you mean PCP as green cabinet in the street as oppose to exchange line and the DSLAM in the exchange.....is this a way to increase speed with copper, thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 28

Go to solution

As you are on an exchnage only line there is no fibre available and may be some time before openreach build a dslam/pcp outside your exchange so you can get fibre

really need you to run btspeedtester diagnostic test to show your profile and also your low download speed. This is recorded by wholesale and will help with getting improvements

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 28

Go to solution

BT Retail, your provider, does not have any control over the infrastructure: they sell phone and broadband services to consumers. The congestion is an issue which can only be solved by BT Wholesale, who do not talk to the general public and work only with the ISPs to provide broadband services.

BT Wholesale usually solves most congestion problems quickly, but there are times when they may not see a congestion issue, which you have reported to BT Retail, your provider, and which should have been passed to BT Wholesale for solving.

You really need to run the further diagnostics test of the BT Wholesale speedtester and post the results here, as it may be that you have a low profile and not a congestion issue. By performing the further diagnostics test, the result is recorded on the BT Wholesale server, which they will be able to view and solve the issue. The best way to get a congestion issue noticed is to perform three further diagnostic tests across the day: one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at peak-time when the speed begins to drop.

A PCP is the connection point, which is the normal street-side cabinets. A DSLAM is a type of multiplexer device which connects many lines into a single unit. 

You are on an Exchange Only line: this type of line does not connect to any street-side cabinets and is wired directly from your property to the exchange equipment. These lines are difficult to solve, because they cannot receive Infinity services, as they are not connected to any cabinets.

The only way you could receive BT Infinity (or a similar product from other ISP's) is if Openreach/a contractor working on behalf of Openreach installs a new PCP cabinet outside your exchange and connects your line to it. The PCP cabinet may then be provisioned with an FTTC DSLAM cabinet next to it, allowing you to receive fibre broadband service.

0 Ratings
francis2
Beginner
Message 17 of 28

Go to solution

yes theyve got about 40 of them!!

0 Ratings
francis2
Beginner
Message 18 of 28

Go to solution

Yes right my fault Im calling them BT when I mean Wholesale 

I presume when Ive done the wholesale tests over the last fortnight and uploaded them theyve gone to Wholesale 

My provider is Unicom but Im assuming when I put my phone number in the diagnostic test its logs the results regardless of provider if so theyve had more than enough logs!

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 28

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer help forum for BT Retail residential broadband customers. If your broadband is not supplied by BT Retail, but by another ISP provider, this forum cannot help further. You need to contact your ISP to chase this up with BT Wholesale.

Using the speedtester does not count as "reporting the fault". You need to contact your provider and report this to them, they will have the direct link with BT Wholesale to get this solved for you. The speedtester is used simply for your ISP to have "evidence" that they can use when reporting the issue to BT Wholesale.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 28

Go to solution

Is BT Retail your ISP.  If not then you need to post on your own ISPs forum. There is no connection from here to either openreach or wholesale. This forum is for customers of BT Retail our ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings