Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francis2
Beginner
Message 21 of 28

Re: Broadband speed information/reporting/min line speed

Go to solution

ok appreciated folks, thanks for your help the matter was raised by my provider whove been in contact with Wholeesale and it is resulting from that that I came here for advice as per 1st post because Wholesale acknowledge there is the congestion/contention issue but are unwilling to do anything

ie Trying to find out what Im entitled to as a service, and at least give us as a common courtesy some idea as to when fibre will be rolled out to the rest of the neighbourhood

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution
Unfortunately it sounds more like your provider is dodging the problem it is not in Wholesales interest to do nothing as it affects all ISP's who use their network
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution

there is no more connection with wholseale from the forum and our ISP than there is from your own forum and your ISP.  your ISP appears to be ducking the problem and passing off as nothing to do with them

It is your ISPs problem as you are their customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
francis2
Beginner
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution
well having spoken to several layers of techs at provider it would appear that Wholesale know quite well what the issue is namely copper is oversubscribed and I believe its all to do with the subs from whitehall aiding in fibre rollout so theyre probably stalling until the next dollop of cash arrives but as Ive said before I dont know enough about ADSL to know whether as an interim measure theres things they can do to sqeeze a bit more out of what theyve got for now PCP and DSLAM were mentioned previously but I presume that involves a fair cost to Wholesale anyway
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 28

Go to solution
the copper network is totally separate from the fibre one and is not government funding needed your copper requires no new PCP's or DSLAM's just extra cable capacity from the exchange to the core broadband network which mainly takes time only
francis2
Beginner
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution

so seeing as my line is exchange only could you explain the mechanics of what physdically needs doing to speed my line up thanks

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

@francis2 You can't do anything to speed up the broadband on your line. The problem is in the backhaul, which is the connections beyond the exchange (either between your exchange and it's connection point, or at some other pathway on the route from your exchange to the main servers).

When I mentioned PCP's and DSLAM's, that was in reference that you cannot receive a faster broadband service from BT Infinity (aka fibre broadband) because you are on an Exchange Only line so cannot receive fibre broadband services as your line does not connect to a street-side cabinet.

This issue is being resolved by Openreach and contractors by the placement of a new PCP outside the exchange, for which all Exchange Only lines would then be connected: a new FTTC DSLAM cabinet may then be included next to your new PCP cabinet as part of the superfast broadband rollout, allowing you to order BT Infinity or similar packages from other ISP's.

You really really need to be getting in contact with your ISP to get the ball rolling for upgrading the capacity. The backhaul is controlled by BT Wholesale, who will probably be upgrading the capacity at some point, but it can take time depending on the works needed. If your ISP is just refusing to push BT Wholesale to upgrade the capacity, maybe you should consider switching to another ISP who actually cares 😉

francis2
Beginner
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution

righto thats good to know, at least Ive got an idea how it works now, many thanks to you all for the good information

makes a change talking to people who know what the score is and call a spade a spade!!

0 Ratings