Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Broadband speed of 0.5Mbps for two weeks

Good afternoon,

My first post on the forum, any advice would be welcome. I have the BT vision/phone/broadband package package and two weeks ago noticed that the TV catch-up service was not working. I also discovered that my broadband speeds had dropped from around 1.5Mbps to 0.5 Mbps and had great difficulty in watching youtube etc.

I have called the BT helpdesk on several occasions and have swapped my BT hub 2 for a BT hub 4 (provided by BT at no charge to me), done a "quiet line" test on two occasions and connected to the test socket all with no increase in speed.

The final call, made on Saturday, resulted in the helpdesk operator saying that I should connect my laptop to the hub using an ethernet cable and he would guarantee the speed would be 2.95 Mbps. I did this and the speed has not altered at all.

I have been with BT since 2010 and despite living less than three miles from the Houses of Parliament, infinity is not available here.

My postcode is SE5 7QE, connected to the Walworth exchange in Liverpool Grove, SE17.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Paul 

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 36

Re: Broadband speed of 0.5Mbps for two weeks

Hello @paulw68

Welcome to the BT Community, have a look at the DSL Checker and use your phone number.  Take a screen shot if you can (but blank out your number) and post it here.  We can at least see what you can get for sure. 

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 36

can you post the adsl stats from your router please

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  don't use firefox

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you currently using test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 36

The DSL checker reported the following:

Downstream Line Rates 

ADSL 2+  Up to 4

ADSL Max Up to 3.5

Upstream Line Rate

Up to 0.5

Downstream Range

ADSL 2+ 3 to 7

ADSL Max 2.5 to 6.5.

The rest of the information requested will be posted this evening. (If I can work out how to do it).

Thanks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

if still hh4 then you need to got to logs and you are looking for last time router was reset/dropped connection and you should see 2 lines together showing connection speed and noise margin - just copy and paste

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 36

The information I have managed to obtain is:

Connection time 0 days 21:30:02

Downstream 575kbps

Upstream  440 kbps

Download speed 0.56

Upload speed 0.35

Ping 50.88

Diagnostic check:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.56 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.

I am using the test socket.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

can you post the full diagnostic result please especially the up profile

if you looks at stats page what does it say for modulation?

0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 36

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

0.62 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.5 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.62 Mbps  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.  IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps  Additional Information:  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly. If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

The above post was a copy of the latest diagnostic test. Nothing mentioned about modulation.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

from the up profile you are on adsl2 and the low speed is probably due to drops in connection and/or manual resets resulting in your conenction ending up in a banded profile  this should release automatically but you need a stable 24/7 connection for 3/5 days

0 Ratings