Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 36

Re: Broadband speed of 0.5Mbps for two weeks

Thanks.

So no need to book an engineer visit yet?

Should I keep using the test socket?

If no improvement in 5 days should I return to the forum?

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 36

Yes stay in test socket and most important do not reset the router. If router still drops connection then you need to get engineer visit as there is a line problem. I would check your extension socket when you are in test socket that there is no dial tone at any socket whether in use or not. If any have a dial tone then there is a problem with your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 36

Nearly a week since my last post and no improvement has been noted. Recent test download speed 0.58, upload speed 0.35,

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.58 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I cannot understand why the diagnostic says for my connection the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 to 0.5. The BT helpdesk assistant was adamant that my speed was 2.95.

What to do now? No fibre in the area, no Virgin media or Sky.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 36

Can you try and get some router stats please. You need to go to logs then wan and you are looking for 2 lines together when router last reset and the lines will show connection speed and noise margin. If you can just copy and paste please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 36

18:57:03, 02 Apr.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=575Kbps, Up Rate=440Kbps; SNR Margin Down=28.4dB, Up=14.8dB

This is what I found.

Plus another two hours before:

16:30:05, 02 Apr.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=575Kbps, Up Rate=440Kbps; SNR Margin Down=30.2dB, Up=9.3dB
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 36

your resets are killing your connections  you are in a banded profile and until you can get a stable connection you are not going to see any improvement

if you are using the test socket and quiet line test is ok (quiet) then you need engineer visit to find the cause of your drops in connection

0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 36

There is no noise doing the quiet line test with the telephone line plugged directly in the test socket. It is barely usable whilst plugged in the ADSL filter, the crackling is so bad.

I will call BT this evening and arrange an engineer visit then.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 36

is the filter conencted to test socket and if so is there noise on quiet line test? - have you tried a different filter?

just last few checks before getting engineer to make sure problem not in your home or with your wiring

pddco
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 36

Hope I'm not treading on toes here, but how are you connecting your hub to the test socket? If you're using that crackling ADSL filter then it could very well be the ADSL filter causing the problem.  Just curious, but what's the main telephone socket look like? Does it have two sockets on the front or just one?

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 36

@pddco

you can only connect the rj11 to the test socket by using a filter and to be sure about the filter hence why I suggested using a new/another filter