cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pddco
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 36

Re: Broadband speed of 0.5Mbps for two weeks

Of course. Point taken. Sorry to intrude.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 36

@pddco

You didn't intrude. Just keep posting trying to help but always try and read posts first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 36

When my corded telephone line is plugged directly in the test socket there is no noise on the quiet line test. However, I have three different adsl filters (all the same model) and when the phone is plugged in to the filter and then in the test socket there is varying degrees of noise from each.

The only time the test is quiet is when it is plugged directly in the test socket.

The plot thickens....

I have heard about a line reset? Is that something worth trying.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 36

@paulw68

you said before that the filter causes noise when you plug the phone into it, correct? 

If so that "noise" will affect your speeds.  If all three have the same issue, replacing the filter would be your best bet. 

Out of interest do you have a socket like this? 

OR_Test_Socket.jpg

You can by a filter that fits between the faceplate and the back socket, it looks like this: 

VSDL_FP.jpg

You plug your Hub into the top and any extensions are filtered.  That may help.  Or buy new "dangly" filters.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 36

Your diagram matches my socket exactly. I thought it strange that my phone calls were affected by noise using the three different filters (supplied by BT). In the absence of any other advice, I will give it a try. I assume amazon stocks the devices, are they easy to fit?

Thanks for your help.

CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 36

@paulw68 if I said a well know "bidding" site, I think you know where I mean. 

They are not "officially" sold as they are technically the property of Openreach but they are sold. 

Yes very easy: 

Remove the front plate of the Master, (being careful if you have extensions) fix the Filter to the back of the socket (it slides in) using the slot at the bottom for the extension wires (if there are any).  Screw faceplate back onto socket using the (should be) supplied longer screws.   Make sure the one you buy has the longer screws included. 

I hope this helps. 

EDIT: I have sent you a Private Message (PM) - Look for the envelope icon (top right of this forum), should have a number over it.  Click on that to see message. ( May not work on mobiles) 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
pddco
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 36

It may be worth giving BT a call saying that you suspect the dongle filters - they're all noisy - and ask whether they can supply a new faceplate? They are your service provider after all.. Just a thought.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 36

@pddco

Just to help you out Openreach will fit an FTTC (VDSL) faceplate, but for the ISP to pay it's only in certain circumstances, and I would imagine they would have to exhaust a lot of options 1st. 

What they would do if offer (maybe) or sell you replacement "dangly" filters. 

My suggestion (to buy one at a cheaper cost) eliminates the need for such filters. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 36

as long as you use the master socket for your router connection then I agree with @CJT80 and would buy the insertion piece which just slots in place and only thing you need to do is unscrew the bottom of master and slot piece in and put front back on.  you can now connect to the new dsl socket and no longer need to use filters on any socket

don't ask BT to send openreach as you will get charged for call out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
paulw68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 36

Bought and fitted the BT I-plate, very easy to slot in. No increase in broadband speeds at all, although noise on the telephone has disappeared. I would imagine that this is the last option available to me? I am loathe to book an engineer visit and risk forking out £160. 

0 Ratings