cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Broadband speed plummeted and IP Profile reset from 8Mb to 2Mb????? Why?

Go to solution

Hi,

I should have 8Mb ADSL Max - I have a line speed of 8.13 Mb according to BT and BT Wholesale line tester (appears to be exchange only line), quiet line check is silent.

I used to be able to watch vid in hi def live stream and then about 6 months ago it went very slow and has never improved. I have sorted all new internal networking first as it was aging, but no change, wired or wireless, even direct to the Gb port on the home hub with a Gb adapter on my laptop.

I have checked the home hub, done all the settings etc, reset, test socket, the works, no change. Mininmal error events etc etc, hub reports normal.

I ran the speed test on BT wholesale and then the diagnostics and it said I am getting an acceptable speed for my profile. - 1.96Mb at off peak times and down to 0.5Mb at peak, on a 2Mb profle. This is wrong. I am paying for 8Mb, it used to work fine, I should still be getting this. Can anyone shed any light as to why we have dropped to 2Mb and tell me how I can have it reset please?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband speed plummeted and IP Profile reset from 8Mb to 2Mb????? Why?

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Sadly form won't allow me to - keeps saying I've exceeded 20,000 character limit every time I paste it in.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

just enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser not search engine - assuming you are using a hub

if copying stats   highlight then ctrl+c to copy     then ctrl+v to paste

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks - I've been messing with computers, networks and the internet since the late '80's, I know how to copy and paste. The BT forum site itself is returning the error for the relevant image. I will try again later when I've checked a few settings.

KR

T

0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Right firstly, I know the uptime is only one day, let me make very very clear, uptime makes NO difference to this problem, it has been ongoing for 6 months or more. I rebooted the hub last night and ran tests with it in the main test socket as well, which is why it is low. I repeat, leaving up for 7-10 days has no effect at all. I will shortly be posting another image when I can get it to work.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 21:08:31
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.9 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):13.2 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):7 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):12 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):18 / 1
0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.95 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.95 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

For the above post please note - quiet line test is silent. Line supported 7.9-8.1 Mb for many years no problems. I used to be able to stream video to my first gen BT Vision box no problem, and watch vids on my pc at the same time. Now I cannot even reliably get a standard def youtube video in a small window to run without buffering - let alone use multiple machines reliably.

The only unusual thing I see in any of the data above is my IP profile. It should not be only 2Mb on what seems to be an Exchange Only Line

KR

T

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

You need to stay connected and repost when you connection time is 3 days showing that line is stable and then mods will help get  your stuck profile reset back to 7.15mb

this is a problem which happens sometimes on adslmax where the connection speed is at the max available

0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi again ImJolly  - sure understood - however as I've posted above, I have had the problem for a long time, and prior to last night I had the hub on 3 months up time, no difference to what was shown there at all - sorry for the frustration but this three day thing when I've done all the tests in the book and a few that are not, and I know the problem exists, telling one to wait three days is no fun.

0 Ratings