cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Broadband speed problems

Hi there I've seen few posts similar to this,but thought I'd post my own.For the last 2 weeks my broadband speed has dropped drastically.I can't even stream t.v. and just about listen to radio.I tested my speed today and it was 0.3 mbps when it shoud be 14.0 mbps.I have always had problem with drop out but this is the first time i've had such slow speeds.I had a engineer out recently who checked my phone line and fitted a specail filter on my line.

If there i anyone in a similar postion,who had it resolved or not ? would be great to here from you.I'm also wondering if I should be entitled to a refund from b.t. as I'm paying for a service,there not providing ?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Broadband speed problems

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

when I tried the quiet line test I could hear crackling.Here are asdl line status results,any help would be appreciated thanks.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:07:16
Downstream:287.1 Kbps
Upstream:444.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):23.5 dB / 22.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.5 dB / 16.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.8 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):67 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 34
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 20
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):176 / 202

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Hi if you can hear noise on the quiet line test then that must be resolved first phone BT Faults on 151 and report it but DO NOT mention BROADBAND in your call once the noise is fixed your broadband will improve
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

did you try the test socket  by connecting a filter and then your router and phone.  then try the quiet line test again and make sure there is still a crackle on the line.  if you do connect to test socket can you post new stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Thanks too anyone who replied,I will try to resolve the crackling on line and see if that sorts out broadband.I did have a engineer out few months ago who tested the socket and put a new one in,but seems like still having problems.To be honest I've had nothing but problems with b.t. broadband,probably time to change,they just don't seem to be any good!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

have your stats improved since your previous set?  can you post up to date stats please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

it is not your broadband that has a problem its the noise on the line any noise on the line will affect broadband performance the problem you are having with your broadband would be the same with any ISP as they all use the same line from your home to the exchange and in many cases the same exchange equipment
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

phoned them again, the usual trying to make out it's something wrong at your place wiring etc,engineer needs to come out,guess what,can't even get a conveniant time.Had nothing but problems with b.t. it's unreal how bad there custumer service is.If it's not resolved this time.I am cancelling my contract with them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

are your router stats still as bad as your initial set?  if so can you post a new set please

0 Ratings