cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welshtom
Message 1 of 16

Broadband speed slower than should be

Hi all,

We are on a "upto 20mb" package (cant remember when we upgraded but im sure we were on 8mb before)

Recently I've been talking to a few neighbours and they consistantly get 14mb on speedtests whereas I get 6.3 ish..

I did a check on BT's own speed checker and they also estimate 14mb for my line.

I did some digging via a friend who works for a rival BB company and he ran their tests and said I should be getting 14mb easily, 16mb he would expect.

He said my stats were good and that something is "not quite right".

Any advice, I see a few peoples problems were solved posting here so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

If you need any info etc please ask away

Thanks

Tom

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband speed slower than should be

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.
welshtom
Message 3 of 16

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:34:33
Downstream7,680 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.8 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)25.0 dB / 15.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)63 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

Hopefully that table retains its format when I click post 😉

I was unable to run the speedtest, kept saying error so will get back to you on that.

I did the quietline test and it went real silent, couldnt hear anything

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

your stats show a modulation of 992.1 which is adslmax - you need to have 992.5 to get adsl2+ and a connection about 18mb on a good line.  you have not been upgraded as you expected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
welshtom
Message 5 of 16

Just to confirm im on the  "BT Total Broadband Option 3" which was the top one when we ordered I believe.

We ordered it to be activated on 13/10/10 so 10 months ago..

Im looking through all the details and bills now and it doesnt actually mention 20mb anywhere, could it be I am actually on 8mb package even though im paying top dollar for it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

option 3 does not mean fastest speed just your download is unlimited.  you probably signedup to  'up to 20mb' but yes you are on up to 8mb at the moment 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
welshtom
Message 7 of 16

Am I best off ringing BT then?

Not sure if they browse this place or whatever

Thanks for the quick replies !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

try uk sales  08007830056 

if they basically don't want to know then try emailing the mods and see if they can help - it might mean agreeing a new contract  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
welshtom
Message 9 of 16

I rang an 0800 number off the bill, and basically got through to "india" shall we say.

Anyway it was generic scripts all the way - "we cant guarentee your speed" etc

Though she did say my estimated speed should be between 8-18.5mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

did you try the freephone sales number?  if that does not help then email the mods with the link in my previous post

0 Ratings