Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tiptop
Message 1 of 8

Broadband speed suddenly dropped a few days ago

Hey guys.

My broadband speed suddenly slowed down a few days ago, im ment to be getting about 7mb, its never been that good only about 2.5mb but ive done a speed test and currently since the drop its 0.5mb download and 1.0mb upload making it very slow.

Ive been with BT Broadband for years but my home line was with tesco which was costing a lot seperately. I was using a very old BT voyager router up to christmas last year, the connection started disconnecting every 5-10 minutes, i also tried a spare router and it was doing the same. I phoned up BT and upgraded my internet to bigger allowance (which i needed anyway), got the homehub 3.0 and changed my phone line to BT so it worked out alot cheaper. The new hub seemed to have solved the disconnection problems.

Ive changed over filters, cables etc still no joy. Ive just called technical support at BT, he said he saw a problem and as ive been with them for a long time he would reset my phone line as if i was a new customer. He told me it would be stabilizing over the next 10 days and the problem should be sorted. I would just like a second opinion but surely my phoneline was reset just before christmas? when i switched my phone line to BT.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 01:21:45
Downstream:576 Kbps
Upstream:1,171 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):40.9 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):38.5 dB / 22.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 4

Ive done the quiet line test on a cordless phone and can hear nothing.

Just did a speed test on the bt website and it says 0.6mps

I only have one phone socket in my house, its very old with the port in the middle with no test socket to the exchange.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband speed suddenly dropped a few days ago

welcome to the forum

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tiptop
Message 3 of 8

ok thanks, results posted in original message.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

looking at the stats you are in a banded profile due to all the disconnections/resets as you have tried to improve your connection.  this is also the reason your profile is low based on speed of 576 which in turn reduces your download speed.

you now need to stay connected 24/7 for 3+ days and the banding on your line should be removed and your speed return

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tiptop
Message 5 of 8

Ok thanks yea I always turn my router off after use, im guessing that's a bad thing to do? Shall I just leave it on constantly?

Also when you say connected 24/7 for 3 days, will my laptop have to be connected to the net or just my router on?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

just the router left connected to the internet - no need to pc/laptop to remain on

0 Ratings
tiptop
Message 7 of 8

Ok thanks I shall give that a go
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

you should really leave your hub powered up 24/7constantly turning it on and off will affect your speed just turn off your laptop /pc when not in use
0 Ratings