cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Broadband speeds dropped again

Hi, 

Have made no alterations to our set up but broadband speed dropped again, since the last moderator intervention we probably had a week or so of decent speeds but back to not being able to download video or music or watch stuff on you tube etc.  Not dropping connection and haven't reset the hub at all.

Speed test very poor. 

Download  Speed
 122 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 122 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband speeds dropped again

additional info from router, shows no days connection because I had to reset it as I'd forgotten password! :  

PI/VCI 0/38 Type PPPoA Modulation ITU-T G.992.1 Latency type Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up) 21.1 dB / 19.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up) 47.0 dB / 26.0 dB Output power (Down/Up) 19.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 9

the speedtest shows that you are connected at 160kbs giving a profile of 135 so you will not get a better speed until you reconnect at a higher rate.

From the stats you posted from the router I am seeing what the SNR margin is high, this should normally be 6db for a connection (but could be set to need 9db or greater if you keep resetting the router too fast I find).

if your issue is anything like mine then at a 160kbs connection should shoudl be seeing a very high SNR say 14db+ which could indictate a temprary line issue at the last connect.

Personally I reboot my router every time I see such a low sync (in my case it seems to be related to heavy rain) and then it goes back to a more normal connect speed after which the profile resets between 12 hours and 3 days later and fixes my speed. (the profile decides your max speed really NOT the sync rate although the sync rate decides what profille you should eventually be in).

If after rebooting you get the same sync rate then it would likely be a line problem or a hardware issue I would think , assuming you had a better connection previously

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

looks like a possible noise problem causing resets.  please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1)

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hello

Hub details below.  Broadband is connected direct to the telephone socket, with a filter in. We use a wireless connection. When I've done the quiet line test there is quite a bit of noise - sounds a bit like a fax machine! 

PI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)20.8 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)47.0 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)271 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

do you only have 1 phone socket?

from your router can you post the connection speed down/up and also the internet connection time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hello again, 

Thanks for the reply.  Is this the info you need?  The connection time is so low because I had to reset password to get into hub.  We have not been losing connection and I haven't been re setting the hub.  We have 2 phone sockets one downstairs that has the hub going into it and one upstairs but the one upstairs is not used at all.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:26:32
Downstream4,032 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

does your master socket look like this  master socket.jpg

if so have you tried connecting to the test socket behind the bottom half?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I can't get to it, the socket has been placed so low down on the side of the window that there isn't enough room to get under. Genuis! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings