cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Broadband suddenly unusable in the evenings

Hi all - first post, please be kind!

Recently (last week) my broadband download speeds have become incredibly slow in the evenings, to the point that the BT speed test will time out. When it does run, I get approx 0.1-0.2 Mbps download (but bizarrely, my usual 1Mbps upload speeds). It seems intermittent as well (rather than slow and consistent!).

There is no significant noise on the line.

At this moment (plugged into the test socket) I get 9.96Mbps to the house, but only 4.41Mbps to the computer (over wifi).

I'm on a HomeHub 3. My diagnostics (before and after test socket) are as follows:

BEFORE

ADSLlinestatus.jpg

After 10 minutes on the test socket:

ADSLlinestatustestsocket.jpg

I have no idea what these stats mean, is there anything obviously wrong with my connection?

Is 4.5 million FEC events and 33,000 HEC errors acceptable in a 13 minute period?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband suddenly unusable in the evenings

Speed test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.96 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.78 Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best done with corded phone. If cordless dull hum normal. Can you re-run the diagnostic test but this time with a cable connection instead of wifi as wifi is prone to interference. Don't restart router before test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

Cheers.

I've done the quiet line test, and couldn't hear any noise I wouldn't expect from a cordless handset (I don't have a corded phone).

My wired stats are as follows...

ADSLlinestatus.jpg

Download speed to the computer are still only 3.75Mbps with speed to the home of 9.96Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

You have a lot of errors for only 1+hr connected. Even with cordless should at worst only be a dull hum anything else is a problem

If you are still in test socket can you post the diagnostic results using an ethernet cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

I can hear very faint noise on the quiet line test. Like static noise. I wouldn't put my neck on the line and say it was any more than a wireless handset would do by itself though, but I'm no expert. No humming that I can hear.

The figures in my post above are on ethernet through the test socket... are there any other diagnostics I can run that I don't know about?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

You need to post the full results. If your download speed using cable is below the acceptable limit then mods will help but needs to be with cable and full results

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

It's back up to speed now, so will have to try again tomorrow evening when it slows down to a standstill again. My current results on ethernet through the test socket...

diag.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

6.2mb download on 8.78mb profile is fine. If you post when it drops but needs to be using cable

Have you tried changing the wifi channel?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

It dropped to 0.1Mbps earlier this evening Smiley Frustrated

Looks like I'll be back tomorrow! Cheers for the help this evening though.

0 Ratings