cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Broadband throttled down to 50%

We have been BT customers since we moved here  9 years ago and our broadband runs at around 3Mb.

We have had a couple of problems over the years but the service has always been rectified. About 2 weeks ago the speed dropped to 1.6Mb and as I write (after rebooting the Router) it's 1.4MB.

I have just spent over an hour on the phone and escalated to two levels of management but I have been told that my contract is only for 512kB so BT is not going to do anything to resolve the situation.

The local exchange is providing fibre to the village so there's plenty of bandwith and BT could quite easily provide us with 3MB at little or no cost but they won't. 

What an appalling way to treat a (soon to be ex-) customer.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Broadband throttled down to 50%

BT do not throttle your connection   your speed may have dropped ofr many reasons but most common are line noise and/or connection dropping  this is compounsed if the customer continually reboots the router

can you post stats from your hub   this lkink will help get stats just locate your hub in the list  https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps    test socket.jpg

enter your phone number and post results  delete number    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your response.

There is no noise on the line. The line was fixed last week (it was noisy) but the speed didn't improve.

There is a filter in place.

We have a Home Hub 4 which provides limited stats. These are:

1. Product Name: HomeHub42. Serial number: +076281+17170025653. Firmware version: v0.07.05.03230-BT (Type B) Last updated 12/5/20184. Board version: 01B5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:40:066. Data Rate: 448 / 16647. Maximum Data Rate: 1084 / 19688. Noise Margin: 20.0 / 7.19. Line Attenuation: 31.5 / 48.010. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 48.011. Data sent/received: 41.3 MB / 202.7 MB12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com13. BT Wi-fi: No14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXXX15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)22. Firewall: Default23. MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX24. VPI/VCI: 0/3825. Modulation: G.992.1(DMT)26. Latency type: Interleaved27. Software variant: -28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)

The results at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html were:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1.5--1 to 3.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available---- 
Fixed Rate0.5----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--1.92     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--0.45     
Observed Date--2018-12-16     
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date07-12-2018   

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

the  connection time is less than 1 day was that a manual reset?  has the connection been stable since engineer fixed the noise?

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

I rebooted the router today.

The connection has been stable since since engineer fixed the noise.

I am using the main socket with the filter that is screwed onto the front.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

does the master socket look like the picture I posted earlier?  if so can you unscrew bottom half and connect filter to test socket and then hub to filter and then repost the hub stats like before

0 Ratings
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

no - it looks like this. if I unscrew it there's just a telephone socket so I cannot connect router without the front plate being connected.What's the matter with my Broadband? - Page 4 - BT Community

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Yes you can, that is why @imjolly said connect with a filter. As well as being a filter, it is an adaptor from RJ11 socket to telephone plug.

0 Ratings
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Sorry. bad wording by me. I don't have a filter/adaptor - so cannot do as suggested.
0 Ratings
garyfisher
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

also there's no "test socket" inside - there's just "the socket"
0 Ratings