cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Broadband unusable -keep losing connection

After several years of reliable fast service (10mb+) I now keep losing the Internet and ADSL connection.
2 years ago I had a completely new line put into the house by Openreach with the new type twin socket master box. I've used a Netgear modem router as the BT Homehub would not let my PCs, Macs, storage devices talk to each other. And BT support could/would not fix the problem.
Since end Feb, the router keeps losing the Internet connection. At first this would happen several times a day, and it was stable for 3-4 days last week but now it is losing the connection after minutes. At first I did the usual of rebooting the router (and of course checking all connections) which appeared to solve the problem temporarily. However, studying the lights more carefully, the router the internet connection keeps dropping off and coming back, and then often the ADSL link drops off as well. If I leave it the link maybe reestablished but then drops again
To check the router, today I replaced it with the BTHomebub. After initially connecting, the Homehub is showing the same symptoms which suggests strongly that the problem is at line or BT Box level

So what should I do next ...? Am trying to avoid any contact with the BT Call centre after previous dreadful experiences..

Robin stafford

Ps this is being sent from a cafe as my home link would not stay up long enough to log in and send the message..
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Broadband unusable -keep losing connection

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

instead of connecting to the adsl socket can you connect to the test socket with a filter and see if that stabilises your connection 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Thanks for the response - still dropping out

The adsl stats show if I understand them correctly, the DSL link being lost and then re-established - the following sequence of messages is repeated through the log:

11:08:52, 21 Mar.(85062.210000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username
11:08:46, 21 Mar.(85056.440000) WAN operating mode is DSL
11:08:46, 21 Mar.(85056.440000) Last WAN operating mode was DSL
11:08:44, 21 Mar.(85055.070000) PPPoA is up
11:08:44, 21 Mar.(85054.400000) CHAP authentication successful
11:08:44, 21 Mar.(85054.330000) Starting CHAP authentication with peer
11:08:41, 21 Mar.(85052.140000) DSL is up
11:08:39, 21 Mar.(85049.840000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 8.60 dB downstream
11:08:38, 21 Mar.(85048.750000) DSL line rate: 1117 Kbps upstream, 14336 Kbps downstream
11:08:37, 21 Mar.Host d0:23:db:2a:f6:bc connected to SSID 'MoorYeat' at 58 Mbps

11:08:20, 21 Mar.(85031.070000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username
11:08:11, 21 Mar.Host d0:23:db:2a:f6:bc connected to SSID 'MoorYeat' at 39 Mbps

11:07:53, 21 Mar.Host d0:23:db:2a:f6:bc connected to SSID 'MoorYeat' at 52 Mbps

11:07:50, 21 Mar.(85000.670000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username
11:07:47, 21 Mar.(84997.510000) DSL is down after 40 minutes uptime
11:07:45, 21 Mar.(84996.190000) PPPoA is down after 40 minutes uptime

Does this provide any clues?  And yes I'm a Mac user so bt speedtester does not help...   Have also done a 17070 quiet line test with no obvious noise on the line

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

stats show 14mb connection and slightly higher than normal 6db noise margin

did you try connecting to test socket with a new filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 29

As mentioned, I have a new style master socket installed bt BT 2 years ago when the replaced the line and put a new line into the house - twin sockets for telephone and ADSL.  And pre-filters as I understand it

Have just removed the front and plugged into the test socket - same problems.  DSL keeps dropping out.  That was half an hour ago and I've only just managed to get back onto the Web...

So does that point to an external problem...?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

have you tried the quiet line test ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

as you already said quiet line test was ok I would try CS and get a new hub as that ne may be faulty 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

As mentioned earlier, I have already replaced the hub - I had a Netgear which had been fine for several years.  When the disconnections started I replaced it with the BTHomehub which made absolutely no difference.  The disconnections are now happening after minutes.  Feels like an intermittent fault going solid.  And there has been a lot of OpenReach activity round here...

So replacing the hub again seems like a red herring??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

if you tried netgear and same problem then unlikely new hub would help  if openreach working are they installing fibre or fixing fibre cabinets?  working on fibre installations should not affect your adsl connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Understand what you mean - though one sees the local boxes open....

So what next?  I've logged it with the dreaded call centre.  Last 2 times it was not a happy experience....

Thanks for your help anyway

0 Ratings