Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alfieholmes
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Broadband upgrade left non bt modem unusable

Go to solution

BT speed upgrade left me unable to connect to the internet through a non bt modem

After sorting through bills and personal finance we found that there was an upgrade to 'fiber' (or some other elaborate brand name like 'superfast' broadband) available in out area and a TV deal which would work out cheaper and supposedly a better service. The email sent regarding the upgrade said that we would recive a new router (hub 5) and we should replace existing networking equipment with the router. Fine for the average home hub user but when there is over £100 of networking equipment bought to specially servce the requirements of an old large country house working perfectly why switch to a cheaply made, £14.99 on ebay, router?

Although called 'fiber' there was no new cabling to our house so I presume the connection is still using ADSL not VDSL as an RJ11 cable from the asdl splitter plugged into the phone line when connected to the 'most reliable ever' home hub five.

Changing no settings on the non BT modem or Router left us without an internet connection and after about 3 hours of tinkering I am unable to get any sort of internet conection without using the home hub 5.

The modem is a DrayTek Vigor 120, ironically available to buy from bt, and the details I have being trying use are from this page http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7447/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-non-bt-router%3F

I also tried to use a cheap £10 modem from TP Link but was unable to get any connection

Anyone have any ideas? Obviously they must have changed something when they upgraded the connection, but looking on the internet it seems that all of bt's adsl connections use the same technologies. I don't know what broadband package I have as the bt website doesn't show it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband upgrade left non bt modem unusable

Go to solution

If you connect the hh5 then go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post the stats

is it possible that you upgraded to broadband with fibre which is infinity 1 but for customers where the estimated speed is <15mb

That would explain why your adsl routers do not work but the hh5 does

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alfieholmes
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ51913594
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:40:51
6. Data rate: 1152 / 4900
7. Maximum data rate: 1145 / 5660
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 15.9 / 40.8
10. Signal attenuation: 15.9 / 31.9
11. Data sent/received: 11.5 MB / 59.4 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-329Z
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Disabled
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-329Z
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Disabled
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Disabled
23. MAC Address: 54:64:d9:09:21:ea
24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant: AA
26. Boot loader: 1.0.0
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

From the stats posted you are on vdsl2 with modulation G993.2 annex b and that is why your previous adsl equipment won't work

from the attenuation you are a long way from the street cabinet hence the lower speed even with FTTC - fibre to the cabinet

Enter your our phone number and post results. Remember to delete number.  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alfieholmes
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
I thought getting VDSL would require a different wall socket looking at things online but obviously not. The speed is quite a lot slower, about 1.8 mbps, 5 compared to 6.8-7. We did raise the issue of being too far from the cabinet with the man on the phone but he said it would be fine, which quite honestly it isn't. Do you think it would be better to switch back to ADSL since it does better over distance and be able to use old equipment or buy a VDSL modem and continue with this service with the hope that the infinity is more likley to be faster in the future? Thanks for your help by the way
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Run the checker using the link and post results and see what your estimate speed is before making a decision

0 Ratings
alfieholmes
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)11.46.31.20.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8.83.31.10.5--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--4 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 14 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 6--5 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

As you can see the estimate is between 11/6mb. Are you connected to the test socket with a new filter?  If not can you conenct to test socket and then post new router stats and see if that increases your speed And stabilises your connection

0 Ratings
alfieholmes
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I'm using the filter that came with the hub 5. The socket however could be an issue. The house is old and the wiring was done in the early 90s not focused on internet compatibility, especially not vdsl2. Could the in-house wiring be a problem more so with VDSL because of the different bands?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Your internal wiring could be a problem and the reason why your speed is below the estimated speed hence why the suggestion of using the test socket with a new filter to see is that improves your speed