Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_C
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Broadband usage alerts being sent to wrong e-mail address

Go to solution

When I log into MyBT and go to Broadband usage it says the alerts for usage close to or over the limit are being sent to an e-mail address I never set up. On one occasion this has resulted in me being charged £5 for exceeding the limit, which I think unfair as I wasn't receiving the alerts. Over the past 5 months I have had several unsuccessful attempts at getting BT Technical Support to change the e-mail address, wasting hours of each other's time.

This evening, I got through to the Orders Management Team and was told the e-mail address the alerts are being sent to is my primary e-mail address (which it isn't) and that they can't change it. However, they did give me a temporary password to access the said e-mail account. I've logged in and as well as the missing alerts, there's lots of unwanted messages in the Spam folder - amazing since I've never used this e-mail address!

A direct quote from the BT website is: We will send emails to your active BT primary email address (e.g. btinternet.com) that was set up when you ordered broadband or an alternative email address that you have given us for the purpose of contacting you.

So, my question to BT is if their Technical Support and OMT can't change the e-mail address these alerts are sent to, who can?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband usage alerts being sent to wrong e-mail address

Go to solution

I'm sure the forum moderators will be able to help with this. If they can they will contact you via this post.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I'm not sure whether you can get the primary address changed. It's essential for some purposes (eg using the free BT Wi-Fi service), but you can choose choose another one for BT communications (look in "My profile" at top left on MyBT home page), though that may only be for notifying bills.

If you can't get the primary address changed, you could set the account to forward messages to an address that you use regularly. Or if you use an email client you could add the primary to the accounts it checks.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ChristopherP
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Hi Steve_C,

If you fill out the contact us link in the about me section of my profile, we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.