cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband usage amount is wrong

Go to solution

I have been sent an email saying that i am nearly at the limit of my broadband allowance for this month. It says that i am at 7.65GB (The limit is 10GB Per month on my package 1) I have only been a customer for about 2 months with BT, but there is no way i am using this amount.

As i havent downloaded any films or music files (Just a few videos on youtube and the odd track on spotify etc) but no where near the amount that BT specifys you could do on a 10GB limit (They say you could listen to 176 hours of streaming music, Watch 15 films or send and recive 2, 600, 000 emails etc)

Apart from sending and reciving emails, ebay, facebook and Youtube, we dont download films at all and very rarely music, so does anyone know how this could be?? Is it possible that when watching a paid for film on Demand via BT Vision that this is being counted  in this total by mistake (Bt say this is seperate from your broadband allowance)

Thanks

Sg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband usage amount is wrong

Go to solution

@justme1234567 wrote:

I have been sent an email saying that i am nearly at the limit of my broadband allowance for this month. It says that i am at 7.65GB (The limit is 10GB Per month on my package 1) I have only been a customer for about 2 months with BT, but there is no way i am using this amount.

As i havent downloaded any films or music files (Just a few videos on youtube and the odd track on spotify etc) but no where near the amount that BT specifys you could do on a 10GB limit (They say you could listen to 176 hours of streaming music, Watch 15 films or send and recive 2, 600, 000 emails etc)

Apart from sending and reciving emails, ebay, facebook and Youtube, we dont download films at all and very rarely music, so does anyone know how this could be?? Is it possible that when watching a paid for film on Demand via BT Vision that this is being counted  in this total by mistake (Bt say this is seperate from your broadband allowance)

Thanks

Sg

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

As you use spotify, this is a system that can sit in the background eating up bandwidth. Some facebook applications can use many 100s of MB per day. Do you use Skype video chat ? That can really use up the bytes.

BTVision isn't included in the usage. so it's extremely unlikely to have an affect.

To be honest, the guidelines and examples for usage are a little out of date and can be a bit misleading, as they don't include things like catch-up tv and all sorts of things like p2p (e.g. spotify).

Have a look at my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14g - there is an online usage meter (up to a day in arrears) which is worth keeping an eye on.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply, We do use skype but only once a week for around 20 minutes. I didnt realise that catch up tv was counted in the broadband, although i have only watched 1 hour of it this month. Will keep an eye on the usage maybe its correct but it still seems unusually high. Sg
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@justme1234567 wrote:
Thanks for your reply, We do use skype but only once a week for around 20 minutes. I didnt realise that catch up tv was counted in the broadband, although i have only watched 1 hour of it this month. Will keep an eye on the usage maybe its correct but it still seems unusually high. Sg

Hi again.

When I refer to catch-up TV, that is via your computer not the BTVision - sorry if I wasn't clear there. 1hr could be ½GB or more depending on quality etc.

I'm not sure how much the skype usage is, but for the amount you use it wouldn't really count for too much.

Quite a lot of websites these days tend to be more bloated than ever. A recent report puts a lot of them 25% more than a year ago.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
hi, If watching catch up on the TV doesnt count, then it makes it even more weird were using that amount of broadband! Will keep an eye on things, Thanks for your time. cheers steve
0 Ratings