cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghinzani1
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband usage gone through the roof (relatively!)

We have a 10GB package and we rarely go above 7GB, even with me working from home sometimes. We dont stream movies etc or download music, my daughter uses the web for a bit of light Kids TV website surfing, I use Social Media on my phone and my wife downloads a bit of email, so nothing at all substantial. Yet last month I got a warning email before the month was even halfway through, and ended up using 15GB. Similarly this month we are heading that way already. The only thing I have changed recently is I use Google Chrome more now whereas previously I used Firefox. We are configured for FON and have a Vision box but as I understand it neither of these come off of your allowance.

Anyone got any clues why our usage has suddenly shot up? Or how I go about tracking down why its happening? I tried BT's Offshore Team but they were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband usage gone through the roof (relatively!)

your usage on BTFON and BT vision do not count towards your usage limit.  streaming a film or tv especially in HD or maybe are you using skype?  uploading/downloading photos?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

@ghinzani1 wrote:

We have a 10GB package and we rarely go above 7GB, even with me working from home sometimes. We dont stream movies etc or download music, my daughter uses the web for a bit of light Kids TV website surfing, I use Social Media on my phone and my wife downloads a bit of email, so nothing at all substantial. Yet last month I got a warning email before the month was even halfway through, and ended up using 15GB. Similarly this month we are heading that way already. The only thing I have changed recently is I use Google Chrome more now whereas previously I used Firefox. We are configured for FON and have a Vision box but as I understand it neither of these come off of your allowance.

Anyone got any clues why our usage has suddenly shot up? Or how I go about tracking down why its happening? I tried BT's Offshore Team but they were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.

Have a look at this thread

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/BT-Usage-Monitor-and-BT-Vision/td-p/522257

Also it is advisable to check the data usage as indicated by your Homehub on a daily basis. This will give you the best warning of any problems.

ghinzani1
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Use Skype occasionally, but not recently actually. Did wonder if we have been hacked or something, although mnost of our neighbours are retired... so unlikely!

0 Ratings
ghinzani1
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Will give that thread a proper read, just scanned it on my mobile - but will definately monitor the monitor so to speak. However I have received the emails from BT to say I have gone over, so they must believe the results too!

Thanks all

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Does your Skype run in the background? Our daughter & hubby stayed with us recently, during which time they each got an iPad; we found that leaving Skype on caused a significant increase in BB usage.  

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ghinzani1
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Have'nt managed to work out what it was, but it seems to have quietened down now. Had a chat with a nice lady Onshore at BT last night and she refunded the £10 charge for going over and for an extra 2 quid a month Ive got an increase from 10 to 40 gig so should hopefully not have the issue again for a few years... bring back 14k modems I say!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.

0 Ratings