cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Broadband usage monitor lies!!!

I gather this topic might be a bit of a dead horse but i'm beyond frustrated. Signed up to Option 2 Broadband Sept 12. Recieve an e-mail Oct 16 stating I have used 32gb of my 40gb monthly allowance. Checked online usage monitor on Oct 21 which showed I had used 41.84gb. Swithed off computer & I pod & router for 24 hours then checked usage monitor which now showed 43.4gb.

At this point, I should add that only 2 of us live in this house, we don't download music or movies, only using the internet for browsing & checking e-mails. We both work full time, not getting home till 7pm. Disregarding the obviously fictional figure of 41.84gb, the jump to 43.4gb is inaccurate as no-one used the internet in that time. The password is stupidly complicated so impossible to guess. There are only 2 people with access to it.

I have been round the houses on the phone trying to speak to the customer help who have been useless. Been on the phone for 3 days speaking to help desk, technical team, cancellation team. I was told the matter was escalated to level 2 (whatever that means) and eventually was told my phone line was being tested/monitored for 24hours and I would be called back after 48hours with answers.

Everytime I phone back, I'm met with the same 'Oh, we can see you've gone over your monthly limit but we can upgrade you....') (I wonder why).

I'm more than happy to cancel but BT are trying to hold me ransom to a cancellation fee of 270 pounds. On principle, why should I pay that??? I'm just about ready to go to Ofcom as BT can't seem to get their act together. Does anyone else have any ideas on any other solutions?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband usage monitor lies!!!

@ssp wrote:

I gather this topic might be a bit of a dead horse but i'm beyond frustrated. Signed up to Option 2 Broadband Sept 12. Recieve an e-mail Oct 16 stating I have used 32gb of my 40gb monthly allowance. Checked online usage monitor on Oct 21 which showed I had used 41.84gb. Swithed off computer & I pod & router for 24 hours then checked usage monitor which now showed 43.4gb.

At this point, I should add that only 2 of us live in this house, we don't download music or movies, only using the internet for browsing & checking e-mails. We both work full time, not getting home till 7pm. Disregarding the obviously fictional figure of 41.84gb, the jump to 43.4gb is inaccurate as no-one used the internet in that time. The password is stupidly complicated so impossible to guess. There are only 2 people with access to it.

I have been round the houses on the phone trying to speak to the customer help who have been useless. Been on the phone for 3 days speaking to help desk, technical team, cancellation team. I was told the matter was escalated to level 2 (whatever that means) and eventually was told my phone line was being tested/monitored for 24hours and I would be called back after 48hours with answers.

Everytime I phone back, I'm met with the same 'Oh, we can see you've gone over your monthly limit but we can upgrade you....') (I wonder why).

I'm more than happy to cancel but BT are trying to hold me ransom to a cancellation fee of 270 pounds. On principle, why should I pay that??? I'm just about ready to go to Ofcom as BT can't seem to get their act together. Does anyone else have any ideas on any other solutions?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Just for info, the online usage meter is not real time, so it's likely that when you turned off your router for 24 hours, there was still usage for the time from midnight to when you turned it off. That usage will show on the meter the following day. You will notice that the meter shows the day before at 23:59. That probably accounts for the discrepancy there.

As for the amount you're using, can you say if you're using any form of catchup TV, games downloads or Skype video chat ?

I hope you don't mind me asking about your iPod usage (do you mean iPhone or iPad ?) ?

My usage is very low, and despite doing a few large downloads, my current usage is only 13.9GB - and in general much less than 6GB per month. General browsing and emails will be a very small amount of usage.

You may have read other forum reports, in that there have been a fair few new connections with huge initial usage meter readings. I have not seen any feedback to explain this, whether it was the user who had not included certain usage and only considered downloads (for example streaming TV of around 1GB/hour may not have been thought of as download), or that the was a meter fault at the beginning of their initial service.

I still think it's an avenue that hasn't been properly investigated.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi Andy_N,

Thanks for your replywith regards to our usage, we have one PC, one Ipad and one Ipod. No Iphones. We both have smartphones but also unlimited mobile internet. The PC isn't really used since I got the Ipad 3months ago. We don't stream tv or movies as we tend to catch up using sky plus. The occasional music video clip on youtube. Neither of us download games. Occasionally use skype for phone calls, unable to use the video calling due to the slow connection on the other end. Automatic updates on apps couldn't add up to that much I don't think. The games we play on the Ipad are on apps already on it.

That's why I'm baffled as to how the usage got so high. I wondered if being automatically opted in to BT FON & OPENZONE adds to it, (Maybe if others use our hotspot, although I've read this doesn't count). I have used BT FON while out & about under the understanding this doesn't add to my usage.

I don't know if the home hub somehow got hacked (improbable) and I've read that having a WPA2 password provides better security than a WEP password so maybe I'll change that.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi SSP welcome to the forum. I can confirm that the wifi hotspots do not add up to usage on your hub. Your hub is for the wired or wireless connection in your home, if you are using a wifi hotspot it's not your connection therefore you do not pay for it. You also do not pay for having access to these wifi hotspots, BT provide these as a reward for being a BT customer. One thing I would stress is that wifi hotspots like btfon and openzone are not secure connections, so I would advise against doing anything such as banking transactions, passwords, credit card logins etc, as these could easily be hacked into if you're using an unsecure connection.

I would certainly contact BT to investigate the usage as if you are just doing basic internet then it shouldn't come out to that amount, I download from youtube, use steam for gaming access, stream video clips on the internet, and I don't go further than about 15 GB.

0 Ratings