cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Broadband usage monitor showing over 90GB download and 10GB upload but not used internet that much.

Ive just checked the usage monitor for broadband and can see that ive apparantly used over 90GB already and the month only started 9 days ago, whats more puzzleing is the upload of 10GB, i think the most i uploaded is when i do a speed test, how is this possible, my normal usage is 85GB a month, is it something to do with btfon?, i decided to leave the option enabled since switching over to infinity, all ive done in the last 9 days is play 2 hours of maxpayne3 an hour of bf3 and 2 movies and surf, which at the most would come to 10gig max.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband usage monitor showing over 90GB download and 10GB upload but not used internet that mu

BTFON doesn't come into your usage allowance.

Not been a first where users have found their usage exceptionally high!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: Broadband usage monitor showing over 90GB download and 10GB upload but not used internet that mu

Its absolute crazy, i seriously havnt used this much, if it continues through the months will i get some kind of barring, im on unlimited infinity 2?.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Unlike some other providers, "unlimited" BT broadband really is unlimited.  So you don't need to worry about being penalised.

You must be doing something to use 90GB - it doesn't use itself.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

That reading of 90GB in just 9 days does look totally wrong if as you say you only usually use about 85GB per month.

But you do not have to actually be uploading to use upstream bandwidth because every time you download something,request data is being uploaded [usually about 1/10th of the download speed during the download],so there is always upload involved.

When you upload something it works the other way,by using more upstream and less down.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

I think the only thing i can do is wait untill the monitor is reset, next month and start up a desktop monitor and compare, honestly, i really havnt been doing anything to justify 90gig, even loads of speedtesing doesnt add up to 90gig, i should be around the 20/30gig at the moment, but like i said ill just have to wait untill the monitor is reset, battlefield 3 only uses about 1mbps up and down and ive only been on that game a total of 4 hours now. Its nice to know that i wont be penalized for it though, thanks for that, i thought bt was the same as all other isp where a fair usage policy kicks in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 8

B.T got rid of their fair usage policy a while ago, OFCOM told them to get rid of it. They can't sell it as an unlimited product if there is fair usage.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

BT scrapped fair usage policies in April 2011 as Aarong has posted Unlimited means just that Unlimited  read this link http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-TO-SCRAP-300GB-LIMIT/m-p/141429

0 Ratings