cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimster
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Broadband usage on BT

My father and brother's broadband account has been exceeding the monthly 10Gb limit for several months now which is very surprising since I would describe their usage as being low.

My father only checks a newspaper website every couple of days and whilst my brother uses the internet daily, it is for e-mail and webpage viewing.  There are only the two PCs in the house, there are no games consoles and no set-top boxes or anything of that ilk.  They are not doing on-online gaming, nor downloading music, nor movies.  Their usage should be low.

I've double checked the wireless a number of times now.  The SSID is not being broadcast, they are using the highest encryption, the password is quite long and very secure, and I've changed the password a number of times now.

I've checked both the computers for possible malware and they are both clean with up to date anti-virus and firewall software.

I've contacted BT about the issue and their first responce was to tell me to check the usage daily, which I've done.  My brother and father seemed to use 1.6Gb yesterday which is far too high for simple webpage viewing.  I've also asked BT to provide me with a detailed breakdown which they told me they could do, but have not sent yet.

I've looked at the hub and the "devices" page in the menu and I see my brother and father's computers listed under 198. IP addresses.  I also see about thirty other devices listed, all under the 10.68.<something> IP address range, from iphones, ipads, android phones etc.  I assume that these must be devices used by people using our BT FON hotspot?

When I quried this with a BT technical support rep he said I should not be able to see any device names for people using BT FON hotspots on my router.  When I asked him what I was seeing there he couldn't give me an answer and seemed to evade the question.  Instead giving me a reference number and telling me to keep monitering the usage and get back in touch if there still seems to be an issue.

Any thoughts on this?

23 REPLIES 23
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Broadband usage on BT

jimster
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Thanks for the pointers, a little helpful.

I am still in the dark over the 10.68.(something) IP address range for various devices being shown in the Devices page of the Home Hub however. These are listed as various things such as jasmine's iphone, ipads, androids etc.  Jasmine is actually a neighbour some six or so houses down the long street.

I very sure that these are not people who have accessed the WIFI network part of the Hub that we've set up.  To recap, we've set up the strongest security, hidden the SSID, used a complex password of 15 charactors, and changed the password a number of times.

Our computers are all shown in the Devices page under 198.168.something whereas these are all shown under IP addresses of 10.68.something.  If I try to delete them from the list then I am asked for a user name and password however if I enter our Hub normal admin and password I am told that this is not the correct password.

I've been told by BT that I should not be able to see users' devices that have used BT FON.  If this is so then what are these devices?

I've contact one of the moderators on this forum and BT directly, yesterday, and sent a reminder today, but have yet to recieve a reply.

I have also not yet received the detailed breakdown of usage by IP address, time/date, data type that I asked for, and was told would be perfectly possible to e-mail to me.  I was told on Monday that I would receive this within the next three days, however I have yet to recieve anything.

In the mean time I am keeping a constant review of the broadband usage.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Hi unless a moderator invites you to contact them via there contact form they will be unable to help you using a personal message is the incorrect way of contacting them as they may be off shift and it could be a long time before your message was read

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

The forum mods will reply to you here and give you their link when they read your post
Please do not send them a PM as this is not the correct contact method and this may delay any reply from them as they may not be back on shift for some time

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them. Personally to you by email or phone

mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
jimster
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

I sent the private message to the moderator specifically because she said that it was okay to send a private message to her on this issue on the other thread regarding this issue.

the moderator was StephanieG and she posted:

"If you want we can look into this for you.

You can get our "Contact us" email address by clicking on my username, under "About me".

Stephanie BTCare Community Manager"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

You do not have another thread with this issue.

You need to use the proper contact form, as the mods cannot deal with service issues via PM, as there is no way to provide proper tracking, which is a BT requirement.

The contact form can be picked up by any moderator.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

@jimster wrote:

Thanks for the pointers, a little helpful.

I am still in the dark over the 10.68.(something) IP address range for various devices being shown in the Devices page of the Home Hub however. These are listed as various things such as jasmine's iphone, ipads, androids etc.  Jasmine is actually a neighbour some six or so houses down the long street.

I very sure that these are not people who have accessed the WIFI network part of the Hub that we've set up.  To recap, we've set up the strongest security, hidden the SSID, used a complex password of 15 charactors, and changed the password a number of times.

The 10.68. IP addresses, are issued to devices connecting to BT WiFi/FON, and do not count towards your usage allowance.

You will be able to see the device names, but will not be able to connect to them, and they will not be able to connect to your private network.

They are on a different Virtual LAN, and a different IP subnet.

0 Ratings
jimster
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

I have not got another open topic on this subject, but other people have, and in one of them this particular moderator has posted the invitation.  She's not indicated that her comments were directed to one particular individual but posted these comments where everyone can see them.  Therefore she's inviting everyone with this particular issue to contact her.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

I very much doubt that is the case, as Stephanie is not as active on the forum as the other moderators.

Which thread was it, and how long ago?

0 Ratings