cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimster
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: Broadband usage on BT

Thanks, I guessed that these may be FON ip addresses but the technical support rep I spoke to was unable to tell me.  He told me that I should not be able to view the device names or IP addresses of any devices accessing the FON hotspot which is evidently not the case.

My question is, you've said that these don't count towards the usage however BT say that I shouldn't be able to view these. Therefore, does the fact that I can view them, when BT say I should not be able to, also perhaps veer to indicating that just perhaps they are being included in the BB usage, also in error?

0 Ratings
jimster
Beginner
Message 12 of 24

You may doubt but I am afraid you are wrong.  It was in one of the threads that the first person who replied to me pointed me towards.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

BT Wifi/FON traffic, goes to totally different servers, as usage has to be authenticated. This is split off before it reaches the usage monitor as its carried over a different VLAN ID (Virtual LAN).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

@jimster wrote:

You may doubt but I am afraid you are wrong.  It was in one of the threads that the first person who replied to me pointed me towards.

Can you point to the specific post by Stephanie, as these are large threads?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

The only one I can find, make no reference to Private Messaging, only the "contact the moderators" link, which is what you may get on this thread later on.

modpicture.jpg

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 16 of 24

Hi Jimster,

I can take a look at your usage. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact Us" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
jimster
Beginner
Message 17 of 24

Thankyou for the reply.  I have contacted you via a private message with an update and my father's details.  I also contacted BT directly by e-mail about this issue.

On Saturday my father rang to tell me that someone from BT Technical Support in Newcastle had rang him and arranged for a new BT HOME HUB to be installed, and said that a refund would be made.

My father, not being technically literate with regard to computers did not follow some of the conversation with regard to ip addresses and device names.  BT also e-mailed me saying that a new HUB would be sent.

I would still like to see the detailed report on usage with IP address, date, time, type of data shown.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Please do not use Private Messaging, use the "contact the mods" link instead, as that is the only way the problem can be tracked through BT.

They normally reply within 5-6 working days.

0 Ratings
jimster
Beginner
Message 19 of 24

I've been told that a replacement hub has been sent.  Today the online usage indicator is saying that yesterday the usage was 2.21 Gb which is a totally ridiculous figure.

I was promised a detailed breakdown of the usage, type of traffic, ip address, date and time.  To date no report has been sent to me.

I have chased this up by using the appropriete link to contact the moderators on this forum, as put forward by the moderator himself as well as replying to the e-mail from BT technical support in Newcastle but I've still not had a reply on this.

I would appreciate some feedback please.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 20 of 24

Hello jimster,

I've checked our email queue and we do have your details.  We'll get you picked up in turn and we'll give you a shout back.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings