cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 37

Broadband usage surge

My average monthly broadband usage is 6MB. In the the last 24 hours I have apparently used 2MB. No iplayer, no films, no skype, no downloading - just an hour or two on on the web checking emails etc. How can I get an explanation?  Many thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 37

Re: Broadband usage surge

dont you mean monthly usage of 6GB and not 6MB

it could be a large windows update as they normally are sent out on a tuesday evening.

if you havnt got this then this will show your usages https://www.bt.com/appsauth/genericlogin.do?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-97c7b65c-4070-10cb-a9e1-83aaa3...

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 37

Many thanks for your prompt reply and and yes I did mean 6GB!

How can I check how much was involved in any particular Windows update?

Thanks again

peterwot

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 37

I have now checked and there have not been any recent Windows or other updates which cd account for 2GB use in one day. Normally onlly use about 0.1GB per day. How can I get BT to check this sudden surge? Puzzled that no other users have reported similar problems. Help please! Thank you.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 37

There have been many threads about sudden increased usage for no apparent reason - BT tell you to change the wireless password as standard.

I myself had this problem recently https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/High-Broadband-usage/td-p/1284701

You will need to keep a daily record of usage per the monitor and what the hub shows as well.

Ring 0800 111 4567 to say you dispute the usage and hopefully they will say that they will monitor it for a few days - whether they actually do is another matter.

If your upload has jumped then this is indicative of a virus/malware running which would have to be removed from your system.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 37

Thank you to conrad. Usage surged again yesterday by 1.6GB when use was virtually zero.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 37

Is there a Moderator available please? My brodaband usage is surging ahead. I checked yeaterday and it said I had used 1.6GB on 18 June and this morning the same figure had been revised upwards to 3.0GB. I never watch I Player, download music etc. All I am doing is to check a few emails and websites for weather etc. . My normal usage is 0.1MG. I did a full system scan yesterday which revealed only one minor virus (Trojan.zbot) which has been corrected by Norton anti virus.

I do need help from a Moderator please

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 37

Hi peterwot,

Thanks for posting. I can look into this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 37

The moderator has been in touch and has suggested a number of helpful lines of enquiries. I will report back direct to the moderator next week.

Meanwhile I have looked at my history of visited sites to see if there has been any unusual activity. I notice over 5000 visits attributed to http://apnwidgets.ask.com which are a complete mystery to me. Can anyone please help in explaining what these are and if they might be adversely affecting my broadband allowance. A google search did not help.  Thank you.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Ask .com is an internet search engine it will be related to that
0 Ratings