cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 37

Re: Broadband usage surge

Sorry that I can't help with your question.

I had the same problems with usage although not as high as yours, adverts  full page and audio ones. At a charge I had someone to check for me he  ran Malwarebytes and it removed a load of rubbish++ now back to normal usage and no further unwanted adverts. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 37

Thank you. I am now checking the home hub Internet Information readings (0.2Gb pd) - which has historically been the level of use until recently - against the BT stats (currently about 2GB pd). I will be talking to the Moderator on Monday about how best to proceed.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 37

I am hoping to be in touch with the moderator tomorrow. Although my pc was switched off for seven hours last night there was still an increase in hub readings during this period of nearly 1GB. No evidence of any unauthorised access. Cd my Home Hub 2 router be faulty?? Normally only use 0.2GB per day.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 37

I received an email and helpful phone call from a BT on Friday afternoon who contacted me on behalf of a Moderator. When I replied I get an

"We’ve received an email reply from you relating to the incident
reference number shown above, however the email address you sent it
from doesn’t match that of the original enquiry."

reponse.

How can I send my reply to her?

Many thanks for any help

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 15 of 37

Hi peterwot,

Apologies for the problems you were having.  I can see that you've managed to reply to my colleague dealing with your issue and she'll get back to you shortly Smiley Happy

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 37

Dear Moderators & Helpers,

I've got a very similar problem described in this thread and I need help, but I don't know if I need to open a separate thread for it. If a separate thread is necessary, please let me know.

Briefly, a few days ago (19 June) I received from BT an email warning of exceeding my broadband usage allowance (with 9GB allowance left for rest of the month). This is unusual because I had never exceeded my 40GB of allowance since upgraded, but still, I cut down my connection to the internet and watched my usage with Usage Monitor so as not to exceed the allowance. Two days later, I again received a warning, this time it says "You're really close to your broadband usage allowance" (with just 4GB left) and I checked the same day and saw that I had just 2.80GB left the month. I stopped connecting altogether to monitor the usage but the following day, I've got 0.80GB left and today, I was 1.61GB over the limit.

As I don't connect, how could I have used on aveage 2 GB of allowance each day?  Please help and tell me what to do.

(For connecting to this forum and receiving emails, I've been using BTWifi and BTWifi with Fon, and I believe these connections don't affect my usage allowance. Am I correct?)

Thank you,

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 37

BT WiFi and FON do not affect your usage.

Ideally you should start a new thread and it may be likely that your post could be moved by a Community Leader to do so.

What you need to do re the usage is to take daily readings from the hub as well as from the BT monitor.

What devices have been/are connected to the hub.

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 37

Thank you for replying, Conrad.

If I don't hear anything from the moderators today, I'll make a new thread for this enquiry. I added my question on here just because I thought it's about the same problem and can be discussed in the same thread.

Yes, I've been monitoring the usage daily and my laptop was the only one using the connection. The message yesterday on my usage monitor page is "You have used 41.63 GB this month and Your average monthly usage is 9.87 GB."

This clearly shows that something unusual is going on with my account.

What do you mean by "readings from the hub"? I've been taking my reading from the BT monitor, or loging into my BT account and taking my readings there.

And where and how can I change my connection password for BT, anyone?

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 37

ctrans

Hope you got a message from me also suggesting monitoring your home hub      http://bthomehub.home/  Go to "advanced settings" and broadband to get current readings. Also check  "home network" to see if anybody else is using your hub. Which model hub are you using - I have HH2.

peterwot

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 37

Thank you Peterwot. I'm using HomeHub3 and doing what you suggested. In one of your post you advised changing "wireless password". Is this the same as "admin password", which is advised to change  when you enter HomeHub Manager?

0 Ratings