cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 37

Re: Broadband usage surge

My hub broadband reading at midnight on 23 June was 4562MB. 24 hours later the reading had dropped to 2706MB. I have just checked and BT usage monitor showed an increase of 286MB for the same period.

Can anyone please suggest an explanation?

Thnak you.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 37

ctrans

Try not to change admin password as it will reset and you will lose all your historical data.

Wireless password is different and on rear of your hub. Suspect however our problem is a faulty hub and not unauthorised access.

Try sending David M (see earlier posting in this thread) a plea for help as he is an experienced and very helpful Moderator.

peterwot

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 37

There are many similar complaints on

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3125962

peterwot

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 24 of 37

Hi ctrans,

Thanks for posting. Sorry you're having problems with your usage. If you've already tried changing your wireless password and the usage hasn't dropped then I'll take a look at it for you. Drop me an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 37

@peterwot wrote:
  Suspect however our problem is a faulty hub and not unauthorised access.

peterwot

That's interesting - has any explanation been given as to how a faulty hub can cause excessive usage.

Also does that mean that this is a known problem with hubs !!!

0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 37

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 37

Hi David,

Just sent you an email as suggested. Hope to hear from you soon.

David suggested changing the "wireless password" but I don't know waht this refers to. Is it the same thing as the "wireless key" ? And if it is, from where can I change it?

Sorry for such a newbie question but I'm indeed a newbie in all this 🙂

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 37

Yes it is the wireless key.

On HH3 click on settings , then wireless tab , delete existing one and input your own. You can also do it via Advanced Settings then Wireless.

To access hub enter 192.168.1.254 into address bar on your browser - save it as a favourite.  If accessing your hub data for first time you will be prompted to enter the admin password and you then need to enter your own.

Once you have entered your new wireless key all your devices will lose connectivity. If using Windows 7 on laptop etc do the following  click on Start, then Control panel , then Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Centre, then on the panel to the left click on Manage Wireless Networks - right click on the hub connection and select security tab on the pop up window , delete old key and input your new one. You should then get a connection - if not restart computer and things should work.

You will need to change the key on all devices using the hub including printers.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 37

@peterwot wrote:

My hub broadband reading at midnight on 23 June was 4562MB. 24 hours later the reading had dropped to 2706MB. I have just checked and BT usage monitor showed an increase of 286MB for the same period.

Can anyone please suggest an explanation?

Thnak you.

The hub resets stats when it reaches 3.5-4.5gb

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 37

Thank you conrad! I've successfully changed my wireless key through your instruction, and hope to hear from David the moderator what else need to be done to rectify the problem.

Cheers,

0 Ratings