cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 37

Re: Broadband usage surge

Let us all keep in contact until it is resolved. There have been many similar complaints in the past, see for example

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3125962

BT have been helpful but seem reluctant to accept my protestations at recent hub readings which have suddenly increased to an average of 1.6GB per day (despite no change in the way I use the internet) when usage over last few years has been 0.2GB per day.

Also – when I switched off the only two devices that are connected to the hub on Saturday for seven hours – BT cannot explain why my hub record of broadband use increased by 0.7GB during this period?

In addition my hub readings changed from 4562 down to 2706 overnight with nothing switched on. This cannot really be explained by the hub resetting itself.

There is no correlation at all between my daily hub records and BT monitor readings.

The present position is that I am closing my hub down for 24 hours tonight for BT to monitor although I do not see how this will help but I am doing as requested.

peterwot

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 37

After replying to David's request for details via email, I've now received an email response from another moderator (Robbie).

The response told me how to change my wireless password, which I'd already done through conrad's help. It then completely forgot about my main problem, the unexplain surge of my broadband usage, which is the reason for my enquiry. How do BT sort this problem out for me/ us, please? As I reported previously, I've stopped using the connection in the last several days and yet everyday over 2GB is piled up on my broadband usage: I'm now said to have used 5.85 GB over limit and this is simply impossible. Is there a number I can ring BT and talk to someone about the problem? 

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 37

I have had a number of phone calls about this from BT but suggest you keep plugging away with emails. So I wd reply to Robbie's email and just repeat the problem.

peterwot

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 37

Thanks conrad but I wd expect it to reset from 4.5GB to zero not a random reading of some 2GB? Do you agree?

peterwot

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 37

Yes the reset would be to 0 but the hub would then record any upload/download after that which would give the reading of 2.7gb even though that could be a spurious figure.

When I had my problem the hub after doing such a reset showed an upload of 1.2gb earlier this month even though the cumulative monitor total at that point was 0.06gb. This highlights that there can be discrepancies between hub data and the monitor which is why you need to take regular readings from the hub.

0 Ratings
ctrans
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 37

I have replied to Robbie and I hope I'll get some meaningful reply.

(In his email, he seems to have taken my problem as about changing the wireless password and told me how to change it. He then advised "If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 14 days.") 

To monitor my broadband usage reading without actually using the connection, I've been using the "BTWifi with Fon" in the last few days but I haven't been able to connect properly with it and my connection kept dropping. So I'll have to be back to my normal broadband connection, even though I'm still monitoring it.

I'll also see if I can ring someone in BT about this,  as I'm sure they'll try to charge me for the "over limit" they're reporting.

0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 37

Conrad and others

Another reader has replied <Your Hub readings can easily be explained by them being reset around 4562 MB  to 0 and then 2053 MB being subsequently recorded. The total use would then be around 6600 MB.>

My pc was switched off duing this period and my average use over the years has only been 204MB per day!

I am taking regular readings of both my hub and BT monoitor. There is no correlation at all.

Thank you.

0 Ratings