cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cynthia69
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Broadband usage surge

I have recently installed super-fast broadband with a new BT modem.  Having looked at posts from last summer, I see that people were experiencing unexplained surges in usage.  This has been my experience, and I cannot seem to convince anyone that it is not our usage.  Up to the time of receiving the new modem, usage has only occasionaly been above 10gb a month, but was showing 105gb in the first month of using the new modem.  I can't imagine, short of constantly downloading videos etc., how this could be achieved.

At the suggestion of the 'technical department' I switched the modem off for 24 hours - result nil usage.  However a few days earlier, I had been absent from my home for more than 24 hours, had left my PC switched off but the modem on, no other person had access to the wireless password key, and yet there was broadband usage.  Subsequent to having the modem off for 24 hours, I have changed the wireless password, with the result that the usage has reverted to previous levels, i.e. less than 1gb a day.

Any suggestion please how to convince BT that it was not my usage that caused the surge?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband usage surge

This page should help.

Why is my broadband usage so high?

A faster connection is usually detected by many applications, and results in higher definition video.

0 Ratings
cynthia69
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, Keith, but I have not used catch-up TV, nor downloaded any videos, so I'm still mystified.  The nature of my broadband usage did not change (emails, browsing internet) during the period of the surge, and indeed as my current usage confirms is again much less than 1gb in a day.

0 Ratings
NeilHe
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Cynthia, you are not alone. I just opened a thread
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Incredible-increase-in-broadband-usage/td-p/1464...
Although I have had no change in hardware that could be linked.
I'm hoping for some useful info from community prior to going to Customer support.
0 Ratings
cynthia69
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I've been monitoring my usage since last week.  In the period from 20 - 27 March I have used just under 2gb.  I find it a strange co-incidence that the change in my password should achieve this.  I actually suspect that some technical change was made by BT which they haven't owned up to, and my usage has reverted to the levels I had BEFORE installing super-fast broadband, and using the new modem.  Anyone any ideas on how I'm going to prove this?

0 Ratings