cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SueH111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Broadband usage

I have used an average of 24.92 GB since i got BT Infinity 1 several years ago with an allowance of 45GB. I have not changed my pattern of use - Facebook, searches on internet, emails etc. No movies, games and very little serious downloading. In July 2016 I got an email warning of overusage and I got a bill for £61.20 for an additional 34GB. This month (until the 1st Sept), I have had another warning email and I looked in My BT and saw I had gone over by 103GB. The next day I looked again to see that I was over by 143GB. I switched everything off including the hub and the next day when i logged in again i was 176GB overusage. I have tried getting help - rang the online help and wasted a whole afternoon whilst they moved me from one dept to another and yet really kept saying that it was registering so I must have used that data and the monitor worked behind by 24-48 hours. I spoke to a call line; she kept saying she could not help as something her end was not working. I have ordered another hub , the new Smart version and have changed my key until it arrives. I had a phone call yesterday from BT saying that the monitor does not lie and I will be billed for the excess ( now in the region of £250 though she did say the charge would be capped at a lower level). No one seemed to be willing to answer why my charges have so dramatically risen when my habits have not altered, I have no automatic upgrades switched on, no new devices and I was away from my home for at least ten days during the period of overuse and no one else was in the house - no kids, no relatives visiting and a dinosaur husband who doesn't use the computer or ipads. I am now afraid to use anything which defeats the object of having 45 GB per month allowance which is huge for me with my computer habits. BT seem unable or unwilling to help. Can anyone offer any advice please?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
willy456
Contributor
Message 2 of 29

Re: Broadband usage

Ouch! Straight away I'd say that even 25GB for the month seems far too high for just light browsing. I'm on the basic 12GB package and we nearly always keep our monthly usage below that, and that's with a fair amount of streaming & downloading throughout the month. Something's eating up your bandwidth. Are you absolutely sure nobody else has been using the computer? You could try reinstalling windows to nuke any viruses/malicious programs which could potentially be contributing to this problem.
0 Ratings
SueH111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Got an Apple computer and Ipads.  Definitely no one else in the house uses the computer ( only two of us) and only I know the key.  Changed the key at the weekend and a new hub has just arrived.  Yet to fit it but I am hoping that helps - otherwise i am bankrupt!!!!!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

It has been known for the BT system to be inaccurate but unfortunately you have no way of checking its accuracy.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 29

Hi @SueH111 Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting about your broadband usage.

We will be happy to look into this further for you if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
familyjack
Beginner
Message 6 of 29

that is spooky -we've had exactly the same problem - also in August. Had the warning e-mail that we were approaching our 45gb limit -went in to check how close and we were nearly 30gb over the monthly limit half-way through the month!. i've tried raising it as a query, then a complaint and have got nowhere - just basically implied to us that we must have used it and have to pay - and that in one day, or part of a day, we apparently used 30GB!! (and this on a day when we'd both worked late and would have used less than we might otherwise have done).

If the moderators read this - could you please check into this for us as well ?. It's... frustrating ...and there seems to be no way (according to customer services) that we can find out more detail on the use..feel on edge worried that it could happen again and who/what has that kind of access to what we thought was a secure system.

i do wonder how widespread this is (and if you have an "unlimited" package, whether you'd even know it had happened).

Our usage seems similar to SueH111 - around 24 GB a month (likely taking into account overusage).

Help on this would be greatly, greatly appreciated 

0 Ratings
KV1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Exactly the same thing has happened to me, from 27th August, my usage has spiked - I've been told between 5 and 11 GB a day is being used on my computer when I have never before exceeded 25GB a month. My router is attached to single PC by a wire - the wireless is switched off and has been for months. A friend of mine, an IT technician, has checked my PC and says no other device has ever been connected to it, the virus scan is clean and my network utiliation is below 1%.I have spoken to five different people on the phone regarding it and have just now chatted to someone by LiveChat and the matter is apparently being passed to a complaint handler. I have explained again and again that no one else has had access to my home PC or router but that I did not do anything that could have used that amount of internet myself. 

I'm desperately frustrated - I'm not well off and am being charged money I can't spare over this. The only solution I've had so far is to move me onto an Unlimited Package to prevent the overcharging mounting up but to be moved onto a different package that they can't guarentee won't increase in price whilst the problem remains unsolved really isn't a good solution in my eyes. I want to know and stop whatever is going on and I find myself reassured oddly to know others have had the same thing - I was bluntly told by the last person I spoke to that I would not get a penny back unless it could be proved there was a fault but no one was going to look into it. At least if it happens to a few of us, there is a chance it may be looked into properly as my last phone call left me with the impression I had been dismissed out of hand and told to live with it.

I really hope this matter can be resolved.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 8 of 29

Hi @familyjack and @KV1,

Thanks for getting in touch. I can't promise anything but we will certainly look into it for you and speak with you about the problem. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It will take about 3-5 working days before we can get back to you both.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
teabag_lady
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

This is interesting reading, i too have the same problem which funnily enough happened around the same time as what you say. My average usage a month is 7gb so i only have the 45gb package. I received an email saying i am close to my limit this week. On investigation i had actually gone over. After speaking to BT they said on the 27/28th August i had used over 20gb of data, but my router stats only showed that i had used 2.3gb in the past 7 days (BT wouldnt even acknowledge this, as they believe there number on their screen). I only have an iPad and iPhone connected and changed my wifi password etc and since the 1st september since the usage is reset it seems to be going up around 3gb a day even when im not home its increasing. Tried speaking to BT but they dont want to hear anything and just try to pass you around.

I think its a ploy to get you to sign up for unlimited package personally or the router is dodgey and the usage is incorrectly calculated.

Have you managed to get this sorted out?

0 Ratings
KV1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Hello @DanielS. I have clicked on your name but couldn't find a contact the mods link - contact us only took me to the help page I have been to before. Can you be more specific please?

If possible, would someone be able to let me know here or by email what you have recorded as my broadband usage for 02/09/2016? I know what it should have been that day and knowing whether you have recorded the same would help me establish what can and can't be ruled out.

Thank you.

0 Ratings