Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soggy
Beginner
Message 1 of 37

Broadband very slow

Hi BTcare

Here,s my problem my internet speed has been really slow lately and i contacted BT about it and they tried to help by telling me to restarting the home hub stuff like but it didn,t help. So they sent BT Openreach to test the line wihich they said was okay around 1mb but they changed the master socket to a new one with built in filter. Also asked them could it be the home hub thats faulty so i decided to get a new home hub 3 and a cat5 rj11 cable which he recommended and fitting today to see if it helps.

But i,m still getting slow speed around 105kb i know that it hasn,t been up long to see if it gets better but even when it was working before this i only got 210kb. Can anyone make sense of this please.

adsl.PNG

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Broadband very slow

can you run btspeedtester and post the results  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  when first test finishes run diagnostic test and post results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
soggy
Beginner
Message 3 of 37

btst.PNGtest.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

it was the next test after that test completed - diagnostc test.  however looking at download speed that is higher than I expected with your connection speed and probable profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
soggy
Beginner
Message 5 of 37

posted the other test for you mate

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 37

just as said your profile is ok and download also ok for your connection speed. 

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless dull hum is normal

also check this post for some ideas 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

0 Ratings
soggy
Beginner
Message 7 of 37

Done the test didn,t hear anything also if i,m getting 1mb should i be getting download speed close to that.

Thanks for replying
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

you have a download speed of 1mb but most sites show kbps and with your speed that is probably about 120/125 or slightly less

0 Ratings
soggy
Beginner
Message 9 of 37

I was getting 210kbps not great but learned to live with it but what ever happen the speed has halved
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

the problem is your connection speed is lower than before but with noise margin of normal 6db there is little scope for improvement

the filtered faceplate is normally the best connection for your broadband - are you using an extension cable to connect your router?

0 Ratings