cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockets
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Broadband went from fantastic (4 yrs!) to suddenly disconnecting every 10 minutes.

Help.

Broadband has been working like a charm (I mean perfect!!), rarely out over past 4 years and speeds have been very good

~14 Mbps.

Then suddenly yesterday,  it started to drop Connection (speed still great when it is up)

throughout today, the disconnects have been very frequent ...every 10 minutes, making it unusable for my work.

note that I have never touched or changed the system or settings for 4 years (evidenced by dust!)

no other phone sockets used in the house, just the master socket, as always.

Thus, seems really weird that perfect operation would suddenly start disconnecting.

also noticed lots of noise on phone line.  When I dialed to BT quiet number, still a noise but not quite as bad (using test socket)

interesting find:  if I disconnect the phone, Broadband doesn’t seem to disconnect as much.

instead of disconnecting every 10 minutes, I can get a good 40 minutes of work before it disconnects again.

Also, just realized today that I had never plugged in my newer Hub4.

Yes! I have been operating perfectly on an old Hub2, so I never saw a need to install the newer one BT sent me.

Given my disconnect problems, I tried setting up the Hub4 and it seemed good at first, but that was short-lived!

In fact, disconnects became so frequent that the broadband is unusable.

It’s only usable by disconnecting the phone, but that is not a good solution.

Can you help advise?

why would it suddenly go from perfect operation to terrible, with no changes?

oh, I also tried a new broadband cable just to make sure it’s not the cable.

and since the master socket is newer/has separate phone and broadband inputs (top and bottom), no filter needed.

Appreciate your help.

Rocket

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband went from fantastic (4 yrs!) to suddenly disconnecting every 10 minutes.

Did you try using the test socket with a filter and see if that helps your connection  if you connect a phone to the filter and try quie line test again and if still noise in the line then report a phone fault to 151  get rid of noise and broadband should improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Re: Broadband went from fantastic (4 yrs!) to suddenly disconnecting every 10 minutes.

With the noise that you say you are getting on the line this would cause a significant drop in broadband speed.
You have done the correct thing by using the test socket. Have you used a known working corded phone?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

No, but will try it.
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I don’t have corded phone (do they still sell these anymore?)
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Yes they are good for quiet line test and could save you openreach call out fee £129. They cost about £5 from argos

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings