Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adam1992
Contributor
Message 1 of 181

Broadband wireless can't connect:

Go to solution

Hi I'm new to these forums and I've had many problems with BT and my Broadband. For around three months my connection would drop and I'd recieve 5.5mbps instead of around 8-10 I should be getting (I think). BT said they would send a new BT HH3 for free as I've had trouble for 3 months and then when my dad and I got the bill the other day we had been charged £40 odd for the replacement hub which was needed as BT screwed us :smileysad:. Three to four months before now we had a good wireless range and from downstairs to upstairs I could have a steady wireless connection but now I struggle for a steady connection wirelessly when the hub 3 is next to zed device xbox or laptop. Also how do I know how far away I'm from an exchange and how do you know what wireless channel is best in your area. It is very confusing. 

Anyway I'm not great at Broadband and computers so I'm unsure what all the information means but I was hoping with these stats whether anyone here could tell me if my Broadband I recieve is reasonable and if I have a line fault etc.

I tried the speed test as said but wirelessly it took so long an error came up. So I did it through ethernet and results as follows:

Download - 12865 kbps

Upload - 902 kbps

Any help appreciated, thanks.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days,
03:44:51
Downstream:15.44 Mbps
Upstream:1.129
Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex
A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin
(Down/Up):
3.0 dB / 6.4
dB
Line attenuation
(Down/Up):
25.3 dB / 14.2
dB
Output power
(Down/Up):
20.4 dBm / 11.6
dBm
FEC Events
(Down/Up):
278039 / 49
CRC Events
(Down/Up):
25 / 32
0 Ratings
180 REPLIES 180
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 181

Re: Broadband wireless trouble even when device is close:

Go to solution

As your experiencing wireless interference there are a few things you could try from the hub,

If you download INSSIDER and look at what other routers there are in the vecinity, and what channels they are using, then when you find a wireless channel thats not in use at all or by very many routers you could try changing the wireless channel on your Hub.

See how it goes from there.  

Adam1992
Contributor
Message 3 of 181

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response I will try this now and reply back. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Adam1992
Contributor
Message 4 of 181

Go to solution

Right I changed my channel to one no-one had on the Inssider program. It connects wirelessly at 13 mbps but runs slowly when opening browsers, in fact even slower then before.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 181

Go to solution

Have you tried clearing out your temporary files and things like that?

You can use this program to do it http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Other than that, please try a hard reset of the hub

Adam1992
Contributor
Message 6 of 181

Go to solution

Yes I have performed the cleaning process of temporary files etc as someone already pointed me in that direction before, thanks anyway on that. My Laptop seems tempramental with the signal and connects when it wants to, luckily it is connected now. The speed test said I can run another test in an hour so I may stay up to do it again and post my findings for wireless otherwise I will post in morning.

I will try the reset in a little while, sorry for my misunderstanding a minute ago.

Thanks for intended help so far

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 181

Re: Broadband wireless can't connect:

Go to solution
Hi your line length is calculated by the attenuation shown in your hub stats with your attenuation your line length is approx 1.6km For reference a wired connection is always faster and more stable then a wireless one although not always practical
Adam1992
Contributor
Message 8 of 181

Go to solution

Thanks John,

Sorry for not being completely helpful to your situation I understand the part about wired connections are always going to be more stable then wireless, the speedtest still says I have to wait so I may re-post in the morning my wireless results.

We mainly bought BT internet as they said they had the best Wireless and we had phone etc with them already. We had a good wireless connection three/four months ago and now the only way it'll connect from downstairs to upstairs is if the hub is moved upstairs and plugged in through ethernet. The wireless can be very inconsistent. I have changed the wireless channel to one no-one is using in my local area and it seems decent enough to me at this moment in time.

Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 181

Go to solution
I would suggest using the Wireless channel 13 because tree are are little to no devices that are Pre-set to broadcast on that channel, they are usually set to operate between 1 and 11. Try 13 and see what happens :). Last week I fixed my Uncles wireless by changing the channel from 7 - 13 🙂
Adam1992
Contributor
Message 10 of 181

Go to solution

Thankyou very much for your input Ian, I have changed to 13 and all seems well so far (fingers crossed) I will post a speedtest in the morning or hopefully whenever it allows me to.

Thanks Ian

0 Ratings