cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan4818
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Broadband works, phone works, just not together

The problem we have is that we can have one or the other. If I disconnect the Broadband then the telephone works without issue. If I reconnect the broadband then the broadband works without issue but the telephone doesn't.

There is a slight white noise coming from the phone instead of the usual dial tone. More curious is that if I disconnect the broadband, then pick up the phone, then reconnect the broadband, I get interference. At the minute this is in the form of football commentary. I can't tell who it is as it is not very loud and anyway I wouldn't want to ruin the score for someone who is recording it! :smileywink:

I telephoned BT's auto-line-check service and it concluded that the fault is within the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
smev
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband works, phone works, just not together

I had a similar problem, which was solved by replacing the HomeHub.
0 Ratings
alan4818
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Guess I better head to Curry's at lunchtime. Thanks for the advice.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
dodgy368
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

That could be expensive and not fix the problem, try a new adsl filter first.:smileywink:

0 Ratings
smev
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Yes, it would be a good idea to try different filters first, just to make sure that's not the problem. Also, try plugging in at the master, to eliminate the possibility of a problem with the internal wiring. I tried using different phones, too. When all that made no difference, I asked for a new Hub - the defective one was only a few months old. The new hub is a type B, the old one is a type A, which may or may not be significant.
0 Ratings
alan4818
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for both suggestions. I had planned on changing the filters when I got home this evening. Got changed and by the time I walked downstairs a friend called up. Spookily the phone has fixed itself.

I have no idea why but perhaps wonder if it was a line fault after all.

Again thanks for those who responded. It is a very useful site.
0 Ratings