Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CMPunksDietSoda
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt Broadband Speed

Hi all,

Since the start of the month I noticed that my broadband speeds had cut in half from 4.5mb download to 2.25mb. I reported this to BT, who noted that there was a fault on the line, and that an openreach engineer would visit the propert on saturday 7th January. The engineer came, changed my line over at the green box as he said it was an old line, and I was back to my normal speeds of 4.5mb, perfect !

A day later, whilst browsing the net, my router light went orange, I lost all connection, and once it reconnected, I was back to the slower speed of 2.25mb. I left it a day to see if it would fix itself, which didnt happen, so i called the bt call centre who told me that they wre refreshing my line which could take up to 24 hours. I left it 24 hours and nothing had changed, I thought a reset of my router would do no harm, low and behold, once it reconnected, I was back to the normal speed again.

Then, tonight at around 7.30pm, the router went orange again, and here I am back on the lower speed of 2.25mb. I have made numerous calls to the call centre, with the last call ending in them cutting me off. Can some one please help me as I feel like I am at a dead end, I checked the router logs, at the time of the disconnects/reconnects, and they show the following.

when engineer fixed the line : 

15:41:50, 07 Jan.

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=5856Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.3dB, Up=23.0dB

24 Hours later 

16:58:10, 08 Jan.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=2656Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.8dB, Up=22.0dB

I should add, that when ever the connection drops, there is a red "b" flashing on the router (homehub4) in addition to the orange light.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
ageingmuso
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Broadband Speed

Similar to the problem I have had for about a month now.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
CMPunksDietSoda
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi Keith,

About a week ago befor the engineer visited, the line was very noisey, but now it is quiet between the announcements, the only noise I can hear, is a sort of constant humming. 

Thank you 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@CMPunksDietSoda wrote:

Hi Keith,

About a week ago befor the engineer visited, the line was very noisey, but now it is quiet between the announcements, the only noise I can hear, is a sort of constant humming. 

Thank you 

There should be no noise at all, a humming noise would indicate a line fault, and that will affect broadband.

Its best to make sure that the problem is not withing your house.

Try connecting things up as shown below, and see if noise and disconnections stop.

Image1.jpg

0 Ratings
CMPunksDietSoda
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

This is where I have a problem, I live in a block of flats, and there appears to be no master socket in my home. They all appear to be extensions, with the line coming into the building some where else. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Probably a locked cabinet somewhere, which you would not be allowed access to.

If the disconnections continue, you need to report the noise on your phone line as a phone fault. Once the humming noise has been cleared, the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings