cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lexxy
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt Infinity 2 problems + a noisy line

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue.

I have infinity 2 + HH5,

Last week I noticed the router resetting a LOT more than usual, so checked all my equipement(comp, unplugged everything etc) then went to use my phone and noticed a lot of crackling/static type noise.

To try and make a long story short, I contacted BT, they sent out an engineer to my house, he checked everything and said the problem was probably outside. So BT sent another engineer to check outside, he said he couldn't find a problem.

I'm not really clued-up on the technicalities of how phones/broadband works but i'll try and explain whats happening. I have 4 cordless phones in the house, 1 main unit plugged into the master socket(with the broadband) and 3 other units in different rooms. When I pick-up the main handset there is a lot of noise and my home hub resets itself(the light goes orange) then turns back on. When i use any of the other cordless phones i get no noise or dc from home hub.

BT don't seem to have any idea whats causing this.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Infinity 2 problems + a noisy line

It sounds like you have either a fault on your line or your cordless main unit is faulty.

Have you tried plugging it into a different socket, ie swapping it with one of the extensions, to see if the problem is still there?

Are you able to unplug all the cordless phones and plug in a corded phone to see if the problem is still there. 

0 Ratings
Lexxy
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately I don't have a wired phone, i've ordered a cheap one online, should be here in next few days.

1 question though, inside the master socket there is about 5 little wires, are they supposed to be all loose(not connected to anything)? Seems strange to have them in there and not have them connected to anything.

Oh and I have completely unplugged all the wireless phones, even from the socket and i'm still getting dc'd every hour or so Smiley Sad

Thx again for the help, sorry about the super lamens Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

It sounds like a line fault if it is still disconnecting. Once you get the corded phone and plug it in, try the quite line test by calling 17070 option 2. There should be no noise. If there is, report a phone fault to BT. Don't mention your broadband problem or they will go down that route. Once the phone fault has been fixed it should also fix your broadband.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

The telephone line uses just 2 wires. You may well have a multi core cable installed. The remaining wires are used if you had more than one line or will be used if the original wires go faulty.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Lexxy
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Sorry it took a few more days to update here.

I used the corded phone, dialed the 17070 option 2 and there is a tiny bit of noise, hardly any tbh.

But i'm still losing my internet connection whenever the phone is being used, have a massive increase on my ping and also randomly lose internet connection upwards of 10+ times per day.

I'm really not sure what i should do about this.

I honestly don't mind paying for it to be repaired but don't really have much faith in a BT engineer, since 2 have been out and neither had a clue.

Any suggestions about what I should do next would be much appreciated.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to read and reply Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 7

Hi Lexxy,

Thanks or posting. I think we’ll need to take a closer look at this for you. Can you drop me an email with your details? You’ll get the ‘contact us’ link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings