Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoridinUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Bt Infinity, Home Hub wireless problem.

We have BT Infinity.

Two or three times a day I have to restart the router as the wireless devices, a laptop, desktop, 2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 ps3, all lose internet connection.

The laptop and PC say they are connect and do not so the limited access warning.

The one PC on the ethernet doesn't get dropped.

If I stop and restart the wireless on any of these devices before restarting the hub, they hang at the point of obtaining IP address, or connect, without the limited access warning, but still can't access the web.

Any ideas?

The hub is a home hub 3 type A and we've had it for a few years now. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
sirionman
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bt Infinity, Home Hub wireless problem.

Now here is a story.

Due to a problem with my cellphone losing wifi at home (it is a problem with the MS Lumia 550 phone that many people are suffering from globally) I had a lateral thought about the 2.4ghz and 5ghz from the router having some sort of "collision" effect and causing problems.

Well I am sure I am onto something here.  Bear with me.

My BT Homehub 5 was set to synchronise the two frequencies under one SSID - I believe this to be the default setting.  So I unsynced them and gave each frequency its own SSID.  I now have the 2.4ghz with one SSID and the 5ghz with a different SSID.  And behold, my original problem of the cellphone dropping its wifi has gone away - it operates on the 2.4ghz range incidentally.  So my phone problem has been solved. 

However the real big news is my wifi has generally become better all round.  I used to get drop-outs and restarts on my Homehub 5 at least 3 times a week.   It is rock solid now.  I also find my speed has become reliably faster - I get 20mbits/sec from my 17mbits/sec connection - I am not on fibre.  Also my computers are not randomly trying to connect to the neighbours signal - they used to "forget" or could not "see" which wifi signal to connect to although listed to connect automatically to my SSID.

Quite what is going on here technically I don't know.  What I do know is that by syncing the 2.4ghz and 5ghz under the same SSID name definitely causes problems.  So if you want to improve your wifi get the two frequencies unsynced, or just switch one of them off.  Currently I have my laptop on the 5ghz frequency and my wifes laptop and all cellphones on the 2.4ghz frequency.

Getting things seperated definitely has had an improvement in many areas.  Try it and see what happens.  Honestly the improvement is quite astounding.  Good luck.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bt Infinity, Home Hub wireless problem.

0 Ratings