cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delinquence
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt Infinity constant disconnections

Hello there - yesterday morning we had a BT engineer come round and install the bt infinity internet. It took him a while as he had to wire from downstairs up to the loft (where the pc/hub is) as previously we were using an extension phone socket which he said would not support BT Infinity. He left and everything was fine, speeds up to 45 meg which is very nice. However every now and again, most noticeably when I am playing online games, the internet cuts out for about 15-20 seconds then comes back on, sometimes this can happen in quick succession, other times not so often.

I tried looking around some forums, and have changed the wireless channel to see if there was any interference but that didn't help. The homehub doesn't disconnect, all 3 lights remain on, but the white modem's DSL light goes off when these interuptions occur. I have also tried a quiet line test on the BT line, which didn't prove to show anything wrong. I tried to do a bt connection line/speed test but it just timed out and didn't display any information. It may be worth noting previous to having Infinity i never experienced any interuptions like this, in fact i've been very happy with the solid connection I have had from BT for a number of years.

I know this is pretty vague, but any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Vision constant disconnections

What has this to do with BT Vision??

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 3 of 7

That's what I was thinking?

But sounds like the problem is the modem, if that's the device that 'switches off' . You cannot access the open reach modem to check.
0 Ratings
Delinquence
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Yeah sorry I got muddled up, I mean Infinity not Vision there are too many different names for the products 😕

So is there nothing I can do to check if the problem is the modem?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You can edit the subject line when you next post a message, just change it to "Infinity constant disconnections". That will avoid confusion when people use the forum search engine.

0 Ratings
Delinquence
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Re: Bt Infinity constant disconnections

ok done thanks

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Re: Bt Infinity constant disconnections

so , unless you are adept at changing the modem's firmware you won't be able to get stats from it. Of course if you do that then you'd invalidate any warranty - so don't.

I'd report it as faulty - its openreach that will need to replace it but i think you'll have to go through BT (as that's who you contract with) . Call 150 and ask. Direct approach is usually the right one.

0 Ratings