cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Bt Infinity intermittent drop outs and speed

I have had BT infinity since 2013, and it has been at around 55mbps since then, until around 3 months ago, just after local flooding in my area, when the speeds dropped to around 30mbps, not thinking much of this, I left it, then the line started intermittently dropping out, around 40-50 times per day usually, and I seem to have the core speed issue fixed as I get 39mbps sometimes, but this will drop out and each time it drops out I get around 10-15mbps when it comes back up, I have had numerous engineers, who all do the same tests, saying that they come back fine, although a few have faced drop outs during these tests (which were conducted at my master socket) but no line errors aparrently, and getting a good 40/10 Link, but as soon as i plug my router in I get issues again, have tried my HH5 and an open reach modem (an ECI b.focus one) to no avail, everyone seems to not know what the issue is caused by or how to fix it, and I am on the phone to BT daily, doing the same routine tests, going in circles.
0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Bt Infinity intermittent drop outs and speed

if you use the hh5 without the modem  can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter to eliminate your internal wiring?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Here is line 1-12 from helpdesk in HH5: 

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ33026669
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 25/06/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:19:22
6. Data rate: 7199 / 16495
7. Maximum data rate: 14929 / 50874
8. Noise margin: 11.4 / 15.1
9. Line attenuation: 21.3 / 17.4
10. Signal attenuation: 21.8 / 17.5
11. Data sent/received: 5.0 GB / 170.5 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

My BT Wholesale speedtest result (w/further diagnostics):

speedtest.png

My wholesale FTTC checker info: 

avail.png

I can confirm that all tests are conducted over WIRED connection, and I have my HH5 connected directly to my new Mk3 faceplate on my master socket, that an Openreach engineer installed on the last visi

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

is the low connection time due to connecting hh5 ?  your noise margin is very high at 15.1db as normal about 6db (your nomal may be slightly higher) sugegsting there have been drops/resets in connection possibly caused by line noise

have you tried test socket with a filter insead of SSFP to see if that helps stability?  did you try quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

The low connection time is due to a drop out earlier, and the connection has just dropped out whilst trying to post this, making me post from my mobile, I have seen this figure up to around 30db before on my line whilst having these issues, and I have tried with a filter to no avail, and also have tried a quiet line test and it seemed fine
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 36

I should also add that each time I refesh my helpdesk page, I get a different value for "Maximum data rate", and sometimes my "Data rate" value is higher than my "Maximum data rate" value!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

The max/attainable data rate does fluctuate all the time as will the noise margin but is not a problem and normal but the actual data rate should not exceed the attainable rate

if router continues to drop connection and you are using the test socket with a filter and quiet line test is ok then you need to get engineer visit by phoning customer services

0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Hello, yes I understand this, I have been contacting BT daily for the last 3 months, and they have sent out multiple engineers who say they cannot fix my issue, I have a case manager also who says that they don't know what is causing it and cannot fix it, I have had 2 more drop outs since my last post, yet BT says there is no issue, don't know where to go from here 😕
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

If you have had a few engineers and they cannot solve problem then let's see if mods can help. They will post a contact us link here. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 5/7 working days either by phone or email

RobbieMac
Message 10 of 36

Hi @Grudenkles

Thanks for your posts and welcome to the community forum!

I'm sorry for the connection problem you're having with your BT Infinity service and that it has been going on for so long.  I appreciate the amount of your time you have spent contacting us about this and that you're no further forward.

You can send us over your details and we will give you a hand from here.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings