Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 36

Re: Bt Infinity intermittent drop outs and speed

your last stats at least had an attainable at the bottom end of your estimate from dslchecker and not it is a matter or trying to get a stable connection  once that is established then engineer can get DLM reset so your speed increases and your noise margin drops to nearer normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 36

"my line also appears to be capped at 29mbps"

What makes you think that?
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 36

Over the past few days my line's fastest speed was 29999kbps (or equivalent of 29.9mbps, like 30mbps was max attainable, due to a cap, like when 39.9 on infinity 1 limit of 40mbps) and my max data rate has been above 40mbps when this cap has been in place, so that wasn't the line's max data rate

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 36

There is a downstream connection speed band that is 15 - 30. If the DLM has placed your line on that band then the current cap is effectively 30.

If you are on Infinity 1 40/10 then the highest band you can be on is one with an upper limit of 40. Back on May 15 you must have been on such a band as you were connected at 40.
Note: The new version of Infinity 1 is 55/10 so can have a band with an upper limit of 55. You may still be on 40/10 currently though.

The max data rate is not affected by the band, it shows what your line is potentially capable of regardless of current product and band. It shouldn't normally vary by much and for a clean line would be expected to lie within the BT Wholesale clean range estimates.
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 36

Yeah, my max data rate varies from 20mbps all the way up to 65, a huge amount of variance; like i would get 32mbps, then drop, then 40mbps, then drop, then 20mbps etc. And these drops happen multiple times ranging from 3 minutes apart to 24 hours apart
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 36

That is the important point really. If your reported max data rate is showing extreme variations then it implies something seriously wrong somewhere. The low connection speeds and associated high SNR margins could well be as a result of that problem.

You would hope a broadband engineer would understand what you are telling them regarding the max data rate variations.

Have BT tried a replacement HomeHub just in case a faulty one is the cause of the wild variations in reported max data rate? Have you also tried a different DSL cable from the socket to the HomeHub just to rule that out?
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 36

Yeah i believe that the problem is exactly as you have stated but like you say nobody seems to understand or be able to fix it, and yes, if you see my previous post; i have had a replacement home hub 5, a new mk3 ssfp filter, new cabling, re-terminated at DP and DSLAM and more: and nothing seems to fix it, every time an issue occurs, BT send an engineer out: who says he has fixed it, but to wait 24 hours, and puts any drops that i demonstrate down to that period of instability, then i ring BT to report the fault still being present (and now worse) and the circle starts, another openreach engineer...
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 36

As I said already your best chance of getting a solution to your problem is to stick with mod help and avoid customer services. Obviously the mods cannot physically do anything to your connection and best is to get engineer to your home to try and solve your line problem. Openreach are trying to solve the problem and hopefully one of the engineers will fine the cause and fix it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 36

If using a HH5 Type-A you have the option of running the free RouterStatsHub program on a PC to automatically record the stats and then view them over time as charts. Won't fix anything but might make it clearer what is happening when and show any possible patterns?
0 Ratings
Grudenkles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 36

Thank you for this information: however, I already have put RouterStatsHub on a windows server machine ans have logging enabled so that I can monitor my connection 24/7 through RDP access to the server, but again, thank you for the information
0 Ratings