cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moony
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt Infinity - slower speed than expected.

We had infinity installed into our village a few weeks back.  I promptly placed and order and the engineer came out and did the install.

At the time of the install he said that because we were so close to the exchange and our line was so good - we should be getting the maximum available speed (80mb download).  However after running several speed tests over the past few weeks - I have only seen speeds around mid 30mb regardless of the time of day.

I have read that the exchange should automatically vary your noise margin to give you the best compromise between speed and stability.  I have read that the target is around 6db.  Mine is currently standing at over double this.  Is this normal?

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ43009330
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:06:08
6. Data rate: 19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 36544 / 107054
8. Noise margin: 23.6 / 13.6
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 13.7
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 13.7

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Infinity - slower speed than expected.

Line 6 of the stats shows you are synching at the maximum for an Infinity 2 connection and that is the speed you should be getting. In your case you don't need to worry about the snr because of you synching at the max anyway.

Can you post the results of the speedtests - or run some over the next day to see if there is any pattern at all - you could be a victim of congestion possibly.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  do not reset before test and should be done wired not wireless 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Moony
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

The speed test when wired into the router says 75mb - so it looks like the router is syncing at around the maximum speed.

Perhaps the issue is with the wireless.  I have noticed that the HH5 appears to have a much shorter range than the HH3 that it replaced.  I had no problem getting wifi signal in my kitchen or even out on the deck that is attached to it using the HH3.  I also had an IP camera in my kitchen connected via wireless to my HH3.

After having the the HH5 set up in the same location as the HH3 was (in the hall) - my IP camera no longer detects the router via wireless and I cannot get wireless signal on my iphone when in the kitchen either.

Is there any way to boost the wifi output of the router - or alternatively - can I reconnect my old HH3 (it does have a red socket for BT infinity).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

have you tried turning off smart wireless and then splitting the 2.4and 5ghz networks by say adding a 5 to the 5ghz SSID to distinguish the difference  you can then select the channel for each network taking into account any surrounding networks  you can use the same password and you can log wireles devices into both assuming the work on 5ghz

many devices don't like the bands syncing together

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Moony
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks.  That suggestion above to split the two frequencies onto different SSIDs did appear to work - especially for devices that can use 5gz.  For devices that cant I have seen a small improvement also.  I need to upgrade my PC to use the 5ghz frequency - and have ordered a new USB anytenna for this purpose.  Hopefully this will make a big difference.

Looking at the stats on my router though - something appears to have changed over night.  My hub appears to have undergone a reset in the early hours and the data rate it is synced at has dropped from 79,995 to 71,857 and the noise margin has also dropped from 23.6/13.6 to 14.8/10.9.  Is this normal variation?

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ43009330
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 12:36:22
6. Data rate: 19997 / 71857
7. Maximum data rate: 37826 / 108132
8. Noise margin: 14.8 / 10.9
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 13.6
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 13.6

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The increase in noise margin suggest possibly line noise.  

Try yhe quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best done with corded phone. If cordless then dull hum normal

0 Ratings